Study Mandarin in Taiwan with a Huayu Enrichment Scholarship! (application due April 28, 2023)
Students are encouraged to apply for a Huayu Enrichment Scholarship to study Mandarin Chinese language in Taiwan. The award period may be 2, 3, 6, 9, or 12 months from July 2023 to August 2024. The scholarship provides a monthly stipend of NT $25,000, which equals approximately US $860.
Here are some details:
R.O.C. Ministry of Education 2023 Huayu Enrichment Scholarship (HES)
Education Division, TECO-Boston 1/17/2023
The Ministry of Education (MOE) in the Republic of China (Taiwan) established the Huayu Enrichment Scholarship (HES) program to encourage international students (except Mainland China, Hong Kong, Macao SAR students) to undertake Mandarin language courses in the Republic of China (Taiwan), to provide opportunities to increase understanding of Taiwanese culture and society, and to promote mutual understanding and interactions between Taiwan and the international community.
The scholarship application and selection procedures will be conducted by the Education Division, Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in Boston (TECO-Boston), the branch office of the MOE in the New England region including Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Vermont.
- Award Value
A monthly stipend of NT $25,000 (Exchange Rate (Approx.): 31 NTD=1 USD)
HES awards students taking Mandarin language courses including short term classes which may last 2, 3, 6, 9 months or one full year respectively, depending on the award availability. In principle, the duration of the scholarship is from September 1, 2023 to August 31, 2024 (except for Summer session typically from July to August). If recipients fail to arrive in Taiwan for enrollment during the above stated period, they will forfeit their right to retain their scholarship. Scholarship funding will become effective on the date of the recipient’s enrollment. Scholarship funding will end on the month of the expiration of the scholarship or if the scholarship is revoked.
(1) Applicants must be a United States Citizen, age 18 years or older, and a resident or a student of Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island or Vermont, possess a high school diploma or above, exhibit excellent academic performance, and be of good moral character.
(2) Applicants with one of the following qualifications are ineligible to apply:
- Overseas Chinese students or nationals of the Republic of China (Taiwan) (previously/currently hold a Republic of China (Taiwan) passport).
- Currently a registered student at a Mandarin Language Center or has been a degree seeking student at any university or college in Taiwan.
- Previously a recipient of HES or Taiwan Scholarship Program.
- Currently an exchange student to Taiwan, during the scholarship period.
- Currently receiving financial benefits from Taiwan government agencies or colleges and universities in Taiwan.
- If applicant have ever received TUSA scholarship or Huayu BEST Scholarship, is not eligible to apply to either.
(1) The application period is from January 20 through
March 31 , 2023 April 28, 2023. Applicants must submit the required documents to the following address:
Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in Boston
99 Summer Street, Suite 801
Boston, MA 02110
Attention: Cynthia Huang
(2) Required application documents:
- Huayu Enrichment Scholarship application form (download at https:// depart.moe.edu.tw/BOS/. Webpage route: English>Studying in Taiwan>Huayu Enrichment Scholarship)
- A photocopy of the applicant’s passport information page(s)
- A photocopy of the certificate of the highest degree (diploma) and original transcript (sent by school registrar’s office).
- A photocopy of the admission application form sent to the Mandarin Language Center in Taiwan (e.g. copies of application fee remittance, application form, receipt confirmation of application by universities/colleges, e-mails etc.)
- Two letters of recommendation signed and sealed in envelopes (i.e. from principals, professors, or supervisors).
(3) Applicant must send all completed documents to the Education Division, TECO-Boston by post mail before deadline. (Must be postmarked by deadline) Failure to include any of the required documents will render the application incomplete, and the applicant will not be considered for the scholarship without further notice.
Ms. Cynthia Huang: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Phone: 617-259-1364
- Selection Procedure
(1) A document review and personal (phone/video conference) interview will be conducted. The Education Division, TECO-Boston will select primary candidates and alternate candidates who will be placed on a waiting list.
(2) When a primary candidate has waived his/her right to the scholarship before arriving in Taiwan, his/her scholarship position will be filled by the next alternate candidate on the waiting list.
- 7. Scholarship Payment Procedure
(1) The monthly stipend will be disbursed by the Mandarin Language Centers after the enrollment in Taiwan. Students should consult the Mandarin Language Centers directly regarding the method and time of the grant payment.
(2) For the Mandarin Language Centers information, please visit: https://english.moe.gov.tw/cp-23-24206-13c8a-1.html.
- Terms and Conditions for Recipients
(1) The recipient shall study at a university-affiliated Mandarin Language Center.
(2) Every applicant shall apply for admission according to the regulations of the Mandarin Language Center. Once admitted, the recipient should send a photocopy of the admission letter to the Education Division, TECO–Boston before June 30, 2023 for verification. (For 2 months summer term recipients, the deadline is April 15, 2023.) Recipients who do not send their documents before the deadline will be disqualified from the scholarship selection process.
(3) The recipient shall undertake at least 15 hours of language courses each week. This does not include cultural visits, speeches, and other self-learning curriculum or activities.
(4) After the first semester (quarter), ONLY the recipients of twelve-month scholarship can request a one time transfer to another Mandarin Language Center with permission of the original Mandarin Language Center. Recipients of the 2, 3, 6 or 9-month scholarship are not allowed to apply for a transfer.
(5) If the recipient concurrently accepts scholarships from a related Taiwan Government agency or education institution in Taiwan, he/she will lose their placement in the scholarship program. He/she will also have to return the funds granted for those months overlapped.
(6) The recipient shall not be employed or work as intern, either part-time or full-time, during the scholarship award period.
(7) The termination and cancellation of a scholarship is based on regulations specified by each individual Mandarin Language Center. Mandarin Language Centers reserve the right to terminate or revoke a scholarship if the recipient’s academic performance, moral character, or attendance record does not meet the Center’s criteria.
(8) Recipients shall be covered by insurance while in Taiwan. Recipients of a nine and 12 month scholarship can enroll in the National Health Insurance program through school after residing in Taiwan for 6 consecutive months.
(9) Recipients of a nine or twelve-month scholarship shall participate in the Test of Chinese as a Foreign Language (TOCFL) Level 3 or above level if they did not submit a TOCFL certificate or transcript when they applied. Failure to do so will cause the recipient to forfeit a one-month grant subsidy. Additionally, recipients should pay for any TOCFL registration fee and other related charges on their own. The latest date for submitting a valid TOCFL certificate is one month prior to the completion of their study term.
- Suspension and Revocation
- Attendance Records:
With the exception of a serious illness or accident, if a recipient is absent from his/her required language session(s) for up to12 hours within a single month, the award will be suspended for one month and the stipend cannot be reclaimed.
- Academic Performance:
Beginning from the second term/quarter of his/her study in Taiwan, if a recipient’s academic average scores for a study term/quarter is less than 80% out of 100%, the award will be suspended for one term and the stipend cannot be reclaimed.
A recipient will be permanently disqualified from receiving a HES and any remaining stipend will be cancelled if one of the following situations arises:
- Failure to achieve an average academic score of 80% for two consecutive terms of study.
- Missing a final achievement score for any study term/quarter, with the exception of a serious illness or accident.
- Violations of Republic of China (Taiwan) laws.
- Being expelled from school due to violation of school rules.
Application Form for Republic of China (Taiwan) Ministry of Education
The 2023 Huayu Enrichment Scholarship
This application form should be typed, if possible, and completed by the applicant. Each question must be answered clearly and completely. Detailed answers are required in order to make the most appropriate arrangements. If necessary, additional pages of the same size may be attached. 申請人請詳實工整填寫，慎勿遺漏，以利配合作業，如有需要，可自行以同款紙張加頁說明。
- PERSONAL DATA 個人基本資料
|a.NAME姓名||Title 稱謂： Mr./Ms.
Given Name(s) 名：
Chinese Name 中文姓名：
US Passport Number 護照號碼:
|Please attach a photograph that has been taken within the last 3 months.
|b. CITY and COUNTRY of BIRTH 出生城市及國別|
|c. NATIONALITY國籍||*Note: If you are an overseas Chinese student, or hold a valid R.O.C. passport, you are ineligible to apply.
|d. CONTACT INFORMATION
Mailing Address (If different from above)郵寄地址：
|e. GENDER 性別||□ Male 男 □ Female 女|
|f. MARITAL STATUS 婚姻狀況||□ Single 單身 □ Married 已婚|
|g. DATE OF BIRTH 生日||(Day日／Month 月／Year 年):|
|h. PAST RESIDENCE in TAIWAN
|□Never 否; □Yes, 是，起迄日期; from (dd/mm/yr) to (dd/mm/yr);
Reason for staying in Taiwan居住事由:
|i. TAIWAN SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM/ HUAYU ENRICHMENT SCHOLARSHIP AWARD HISTORY 臺灣獎學金/華語文獎學金受獎紀錄||□None 無;
□Yes, 是，起迄日期from (dd/mm/yr) to (dd/mm/yr);
Type(s) of Scholarship Awarded:
|j. OTHER SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION RECORD 申請其他獎學金||□None 無
I’m also applying for scholarship(s) listed below: 我也申請下列獎學金
□Scholarship Program for Advanced Mandarin Studies in Taiwan (AMS)
□Taiwan-U.S. Sister Relations Alliance Ambassador Scholarship Program (TUSA)
□From other institution(s). Please specify title of this scholarship: , sponsored by . 向其他機構申請獎學金，請說明獎學金及機構名稱
|k. HEALTH CONDITION
|□ Excellent □ Good □ Fair □Other. Please specify|
|l. CONTACT PERSON, IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY
|Name 姓名: Relationship 關係:
Tel 電話: Cell phone 手機:
- LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY 語言能力
|LISTENING聽||READING 讀||WRITING 寫||SPEAKING 說|
|(Other, please state)|
- EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND 教育背景
|Name of Institution
|Period of Enrollment
|Undergraduate Level Education
|Graduate Level Education
- REFERENCES 推薦單位 (人) 資料
|Name 姓名||Position職務||Phone, E-Mail or Mailing Address電話及郵電地址|
- PREVIOUS EMPLOYMENT 工作經歷 (Use one line for each position)
|Period of Employment
- PRESENT EMPLOYMENT 現職狀況
|a. COMPANY/ ORGANIZATION 機構名稱|
|b. POSITION 職稱||c. Starting Date 起始日期:|
|d. CONTACT INFORMATION 聯絡資訊||Address 地址：
Tel 電話： Cell phone:
Fax 傳真： E-mail 電子郵件：
|e. TYPE OF ORGANIZATION
|□ Gov’t. Ministry/owned Agency 政府部門||□ University/Gov’t./State- Institution大學校院|
|□ Private Company私人企業組織||□ Joint Venture合資企業|
|□ International Enterprise國際公司||□ NGO非政府國際組織|
|a. STUDY PERIOD
|□ 3 months
□ 9 months
|□ 6 months
□ 12 months
□ 2 months ( Summer Session)
|I plan to study Mandarin language courses from (month月), (year年) to (month月), (year年).|
|b. LANGUAGE CENTER YOU PLAN TO ATTEND IN TAIWAN
|University-affiliated language center:|
|c. List of Mandarin Language Centers in Taiwan: https://english.moe.gov.tw/cp-23-24206-13c8a-1.html|
- STUDY TERM AND LANGUAGE CENTER 就讀期別與語言中心
- BRIEFLY STATE YOUR STUDY PLAN WHILE IN TAIWAN 請簡述在臺讀書計畫
- SURVEY 調查
|How did you learn about the HES Program? 您從何得知本獎學金消息？||□ Teachers. Please specify his/her name:
□ Friends or classmates. Please specify his/her name:
□ Internet. Please offer the name and website.
□ Others. Please specify:
- CHECKLIST 檢查表
|□||Application form 申請表|
|□||Photocopy of your passport information page(s) 護照影本|
|□||Photocopy of the certificate of the highest credential (diploma) and original transcript (sent by school registrar’s office) 最高學歷畢業證書及成績單影本|
|□||Photocopy of the application form sent to Mandarin Language Centers in Taiwan華語文中心申請表影本|
|□||Two letters of recommendation signed and sealed in envelopes
|□||Signed the “Terms of Agreement” (See following page) 於獎學金承諾書簽名|
I declare that: The information I have provided on this application is complete and accurate to the best of my knowledge.
| Applicant’s Signature Date
Terms of Agreement of
Ministry of Education Huayu Enrichment Scholarship Program
- I have read, understood and agreed to the information and terms regarding the Ministry of Education Huayu Enrichment Scholarship Program, which has been awarded to me by the Republic of China (Taiwan). I also declare that the information that I have provided to the government of the Republic of China (Taiwan) is complete and accurate to the best of my knowledge. I understand and accept the condition that if I violate any of the terms associated with this scholarship, I will immediately be dismissed from this program. (本人已閱讀、瞭解並且同意有關教育部華語文獎學金計畫之資料與規定，本人承諾在本人獎學金申請書所提供之資料全部屬實。本人瞭解並同意，如有任何違反獎學金規定之情事，則本人參與此項獎學金計畫之資格將被立即取消)。
- “The Ministry of Education Huayu Enrichment Scholarship Program” Terms of Agreement (教育部華語文獎學金承諾書):
- I will maintain the required academic grade and attendance standards as set by the Ministry of Education. If I fail to do this, I understand that the scholarship will be suspended or revoked. (本人之學業成績及出勤應達到本獎學金作業要點規定之標準，否則依該要點停發或註銷本獎學金)。
- If I commit criminal offences/misdemeanors, such as engaging in illegal employment, I will be dismissed from the program of study and from receiving the scholarship. (如本人有觸犯法律與行為失當，如非法打工等情事時，則本人之受獎資格將被註銷)。
- I agree to abide by the laws of the Republic of China (Taiwan) during my stay in Taiwan. (本人在中華民國停留期間，願遵守中華民國之法律)。
- I will cover all the expenses which exceed the amount granted by the scholarship. (所有超出獎學金額度以外之費用，一概由本人負擔)。
- I understand that if my award periods are 9 months or longer, I must submit a TOCFL (Test of Chinese as a Foreign Language; at least the ‘Learner’ level) score transcripts to the institutions where I am studying within my award period. If I fail to do so, I will lose one month’s stipend. I have to pay the TOCFL application fees myself. (本人瞭解如受獎期限9個月以上者，應於受獎期限內繳交TOCFL華語文能力測驗（進階級以上）成績單予所就讀華語中心，否則將停發一個月獎學金。參加TOCFL測驗費用應自行負擔)。
- Upon completion of my study program in Taiwan, I will submit a school report and my permanent residence mailing address to the Language Center where I have been enrolled in Taiwan and the Education Division of the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in Boston. (在臺學業完成後，本人須提出在學成績單與本人之永久通訊地址等資料予本人就讀之華語中心及駐波士頓臺北經濟文化辦事處教育組)。
- This written promise is in Chinese and English and should any conflict arise, the Chinese text will prevail. (本人瞭解此件承諾書有中文與英文二種文字對照版本，如解釋有歧異時，係以中文版本為準)。
- I agree that the government of the ROC (Taiwan) has my permission to check and use my personal information about applying, receiving the scholarship, and other related information witch I have provided.（本人同意中華民國政府機關因執行業務需要，可蒐集、取得及使用本人所提供之個人申請及受獎相關資料）。
Name (姓名) : _____________________________
Signature (簽名) : __________________________ Date (日期) : ________________