Student Led Programming-Student Advisory Council
The Student Advisory Council of the BU Arts Initiative is open to undergraduate and graduate students who are interested in supporting the BU Arts Initiative by creating and promoting events, and working with their committee to develop and host unique student focused events including First Fridays, Arts Insiders, The BU Arts Initiative Gallery, and Study Breaks. Council Members also help staff major programming, including the Fall Arts Fair, the BU Global Music Festival, and Artist Residencies.
About Student Advisory Council
- Plan and execute monthly First Friday events, Study Breaks, Student Art Exhibits, and Arts Insider events every semester
- Manage staff and tabling needs for Fall Arts Fair and other Arts Initiative events as needed.
- Staff table for Wellness Fairs, Sustainability Fairs, School or Program Orientations, etc.
- Engage with BU student community on behalf of the Arts Initiative to promote events and other programming.
- Arts Insiders– The student advisory council selects four exciting arts events and explores the Boston area by attending two audience events (exhibitions, dance, and theatrical performances) and two hands-on workshops with artists and art organizations representing Boston’s rich cultural and artistic communities. They work directly with the graduate assistant to promote Arts Insiders events to BU students. Space for each event is limited, so be sure to sign up for the Arts Insiders email, which gives you an advantage on upcoming trips and activities before we open them up to the general student body. For more information or event suggestions, please contact our graduate assistant, Merritt Kramer. *Open to BU undergraduate and graduate students.* (Apply here to become an Arts Insider)
- First Fridays– Student leaders from the student advisor council are our volunteers assisting in the setup and breakdown of our once-a-month First-Friday arts and crafts event.
- Study Break– Right before exam week, we host a study break during one of the reading days in which students create a craft activity to help decrease the stress and let their minds take a break.
- Drop-in/Takeaway Crafts– Fun and simple art projects available to students all semester. Stop in our office any time we are open and grab a craft bag, enjoy it in our office suite, or take it with you.
- Solicit artists and manage the Office Gallery space to exhibit student artists from all over campus.
- Manage all communication with chosen artists and execute installation and take down of exhibits.
- Brainstorm with other committees to market gallery exhibits and organize gallery receptions.
2022-2023 Student Advisory Council
|Amal Abubaker||BUSPH||Grad Student||Gallery|
|Avery Davidson||CFA||Freshman||Arts Insiders|
|Elizabeth Kostina||CAS||Junior||Arts Insiders|
|Elle Zeng||MET||Grad Student||Special Events|
|Emily Lin||COM||Sophomore||Arts Insiders|
|Hanzhi Li||MET||Grad Student||Special Events|
|Kasandra Kue-Rojas||CAS||Junior||Arts Insiders|
|Kaylan Genevive Comenole||CGS||Senior||Arts Insiders|
|Saanya Kanwar||CAS||Junior||Special Events|
|Shrya Yadav||MET||Grad Student||Gallery|
|Trisha Balan||COM||Grad Student||Special Events|
|Yi-Hsi Huang||Sargent||Sophomore||Special Events|
|Yuhan Peng||CAS||Junior||Special Events|
|Zarin Pilakkadavath||BUSM||Grad Student||Gallery|
|Zoey Marroquin||BUSPH||Grad Student||Arts Insiders|
Interested in joining our Student Advisory Council?
We’re looking for undergraduate & graduate students to serve a one-year term (starting Fall 2023), assisting and supporting the Arts Initiative office. Council members are responsible for hosting and volunteering for on-campus & virtual events, spreading the word about art opportunities to friends and classmates, and taking an active role in their respective committees. 2023-2024 applications will be released in March 2023.
Are you hosting an event or want to learn more? Visit our website for some Talking Points about the Arts Initiative!