Maureen K. O’Connor, PsyD, ABPP-CN
Director of Neuropsychology
Bedford Veterans Administration Hospital, Psychology Department
Assistant Professor of Neurology
Associate Director Education Core, Alzheimer’s Disease Center
Boston University School of Medicine, Department of Neurology
Location: EN Rogers Memorial VAMC
Dr. Maureen K. O’Connor completed her undergraduate studies at Ithaca College in Ithaca, New York. She earned her doctoral degree from Indiana University of Pennsylvania and completed her predoctoral residency in neuropsychology at Yale University School of Medicine. She completed her postdoctoral training at Cornell Weill Medical College/Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in Manhattan and the Bedford Veterans Hospital/Boston University School of Medicine. Dr. O’Connor is currently the Director of Neuropsychology at the Bedford Veterans Hospital and an Assistant Professor of Neurology at Boston University. Dr. O’Connor is a licensed clinical psychologist and a board-certified neuropsychologist.
Dr. O’Connor’s research interests are focused on Alzheimer’s disease and include the development of treatment interventions designed to improve patient functioning and reduce caregiver burden.
Dr. O’Connor serves as the Associate Director of the BU ADC Education Core.
Dr. O’Connor is a member of the International Neuropsychological Society, Massachusetts Neuropsychological Society, and the American Board of Professional Psychology. She served as the chair of the Education Committee for the National Academy of Neuropsychology (NAN), and currently serves as a Member-at-Large on the board of NAN
Dr. O’Connor’s curriculum vitae is available here.
Peer Reviewed Publications
(senior author listed last, unless otherwise indicated)
- Leroux, AJ; Waid-Ebbs, JK; Wen, P; Graham, DP; Ray, K; O’Connor, MK; & Helmer, DA (submitted). An Investigation of Exposure Control Methods with Variable-Length CAT using the Partial Credit Model. Journal of Applied Measurement.
- Bundy, BC; Daley, RT; Clark, EL; Indorewalla, K; & O’Connor, MK (resubmitted for review). Perceptions of Cognitive Aging Among Veterans. The Journal of Gerontopsychology and Geriatric Psychiatry.
- Waid-Ebbs, JK; Wen, PS; Graham, D; Ray, K; Leroux, AJ; O’Connor, MK; Helmer, D. (accepted for 2018 publication). Factor Structure of the Community Re-Integration of Service-members (CRIS) in Veterans with Blast-Related mTBI. Journal of Applied Measurement.
- O’Connor, MK (senior author), Kraft, ML, Daley, RT, Sugarman, MA, Clark, E, Scoglio, A, & Shirk, S (2017). The AgeWISE Program: Aging Well through Interaction and Scientific Education. Clinical Gerontologist.
- 16. Wewiorski, N, Gorman, J, Scoglio, AAJJ, Fukuda, S, Reilly, E, Mueller, L, O’Connor, MK, Penk, WE, & Drebing, C,E, (2017). Best Practices in Vocational Services for the Community Reintegration of Returning Veterans. Psychological Services.
- Daley, RT, Sugarman, MA, & O’Connor, MK (2017). Spared emotional perception in patients with Alzheimer’s disease is associated with greater burden for their caretakers. Aging and Mental Health, [epub ahead of print].
- Daley, R, O’Connor, MK, Shirk, S, & Beard, RL (2017). ‘In this together’ or ‘going it alone’: Couples approaches to Alzheimer’s disease. Journal of Aging Studies, 40, 57-63.
- Tat, MJ, Soonsawat, A, Nagle, CB, Deason, RG, O’Connor, MK, & Budson, AE (2016). The influence of strategic encoding on false memory in patients with mild cognitive impairment and Alzheimer’s disease dementia. Brain and Cognition, 109, 50-58.
- O’Connor, MK (senior author), Mueller, L, Drebing, C, Semiatin, A, Wang, S, & O’Connor, A (2016). Enhanced Vocational Rehabilitation: A feasibility and pilot study of adjunctive cognitive rehabilitation for veterans with mild traumatic brain injury and mental illness. Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development, 53(3), 307-320.
- O’Connor, MK, Deason, RG, Reynolds, E, Tat, MJ, Flannery, S, Solomon, PR, Budson, AE (2015). The Imagination Inflation Effect in Healthy Older Adults and Patients with Mild Alzheimer’s Disease. Neuropsychology, 29(4), 550-560.
- Trontel, HG, Hall, S, Ashendorf, L & O’Connor, MK. (2013). Impact of Diagnosis Threat on Academic Self-Efficacy in mild Traumatic Brain Injury. Journal of Clinical and Experimental Neuropsychology, 35 (9), 960-970.
- Nyborn JA, Himali JJ, Beiser AS, Devine SA, Du Y, Kaplan E, O’Connor MK, Rinn WE, Denison HS, Seshadri S, Wolf PA, Au R. (2013). The Framingham Heart Study Clock Drawing Performance: Normative Data from the Offspring Cohort. Experimental Aging Research, 39 (1), 80-108.
- Simmons-Stern, NR, Deason, RG, Brandler, BJ, Frustace, BS, O’Connor, MK, Ally, BA, Budson, AE (2012). Music-Based Memory Enhancement in Alzheimer’s Disease: Promise and Limitations. Neuropsychologia, 50(14), 3295-3303.
- Semiatin A, O’Connor MK (2012). The Relationship Between Self-Efficacy and Positive Aspects of Caregiving in Alzheimer’s Disease Caregivers. Aging and Mental Health, 16(6), 683-8.
- Dodson CS, Spaniol M, O’Connor MK, Deason RG, Ally BA, Budson AE. (2011). Alzheimer’s disease and memory-monitoring anosognosia: Alzheimer’s patients show a monitoring deficit that is greater than their accuracy deficit. Neuropsychologia, 49(9), 2609-2618.
- O’Connor MK, Mueller L, Van Ormer A, Drake R, Penk W, Rosenheck R, Semiatin A, Drebing CE (2011). Cognitive impairment as a barrier to engagement in vocational rehabilitation among veterans with severe mental illness. Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development, 48 (5).
- O’Connor MK, Ally BA (2010). Using stimulus form change to understand memorial familiarity and the picture superiority effect in patients with mild cognitive impairment and Alzheimer’s disease. Neuropsychologia, 48, 2068-2074.
- Ashendorf L, Jefferson A, O’Connor MK, Chaisson, C, Green RC, Stern RA. (2008). Trail Making Test errors in normal aging, mild cognitive impairment, and dementia. Archives of Clinical Neuropsychology, 23, 129-137.
- Gonyea JG, O’Connor MK, Boyle PA (2006). Project CARE: A Randomized Controlled Trial of a Behavioral Intervention Group for Alzheimer’s Disease Caregivers, Gerontologist, 46: 827-832.
- Gonyea, JG, O’Connor MK, Carruth, A, Boyle, PA. (2005). Subjective appraisal of Alzheimer’s disease caregiving: the role of self-efficacy and depressive symptoms in the experience of burden. American Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease and Other Dementias, 20(5), 273-280.
Budson, AH & O’Connor, MK (2017). Seven steps to managing your memory: What’s normal, what’s not, and what to do about it. Oxford University Press.
Gable, S & O’Connor, MK (in press). Treating Medical Comorbidities Associated with Dementia among Latinos. In Y. Tazeau and H. Adames (Eds), Caring for Latinos with Dementia in a Globalized World. Springer Publishing Company.
Horwitz, JE & O’Connor, MK (2017). Cognitive rehabilitation. In A. Wenzel (Ed), The SAGE Encyclopedia of Abnormal and Clinical Psychology. SAGE Publications, Inc.
Beard, R & O’Connor, MK (2015) Listening to Alzheimer’s Disease. In C. Dick-Muehlke, L. Ruobing, M. Orleans (Eds.) Psychosocial Studies of the Individual’s Changing Perspectives in Alzheimer’s disease. IGI Global.
O’Connor, MK, & Kraft, ML (2013). Lifestyle factors and successful cognitive aging in older adults. In J.J. Randolph (Ed.), Positive neuropsychology: An evidence-based perspective on promoting cognitive health. New York, NY: Springer Science+Business Media, LLC.
OConnor, MK, Petroski-Ackley, L., Lash, M. (2012). Suicide in military personnel and veterans: A tip card. Wake Forest, North Carolina: Lash and Associates Publishing Inc.
OConnor, MK, Drebing CE. (2011). Veterans and Brain Injury: Special considerations. In R. Fraser, K. Johnson, L. Bell (Eds.) Living Life Fully After Brain Injury. Wake Forest, North Carolina: Lash and Associates Publishing Inc.
O’Connor, MK (2010). Book review: Rehabilitation of Neuropsychological Disorders: A Practical Guide for Rehabilitation Professionals. Archives of Clinical Neuropsychology, 25, 470-711.
Shaughnessy, L.W., O’Connor, MK, Sherman, J.C. (2009). Neuropsychological evaluation in clinical practice: Overview and approach. In A. Atri & T.A. Milligan (Eds.), Hospital Physician Neurology Board Review Manual, 13(3), Wayne, PA: Turner White Communications, Inc.
Shaughnessy, L.W., Sherman, J.C., O’Connor, MK (2009). Neuropsychological evaluation in clinical practice: Case interpretation and treatment. In A. Atri & T.A. Milligan (Eds.), Hospital Physician Neurology Board Review Manual, 13(4), Wayne, PA: Turner White Communications, Inc.
O’Connor MK, Boyle PA. (2007). Frontal Systems Dysfunction in Alzheimer’s Disease. Research Progress in Alzheimer’s Disease and Dementia: Volume 1. New York: Nova Science Publisher, Inc.