MS in Population Health Research: Global Health
This 34-credit program is designed to provide a practical and versatile tool kit of analytic skills relevant in the field of Global Health research. Global Health research is often multidisciplinary and successful work in this area requires a broad understanding of the processes by which policy initiatives are developed.
Accordingly, the training provides graduate students with capacity in epidemiology, biostatistics, health finance and economics, qualitative research and statistical programming. Students will receive close one-to-one mentorship and/or team-based mentoring on an original and publishable scientific project. The program prepares students for careers in domestic or international research organizations, NGOs, universities, foundations and private industry, while also generating future doctoral candidates seeking to pursue DsC, PhD, DrPH, and other advanced degrees.
Upon completion of the program, graduates will be able to:
- Critically evaluate research reports and publications,
- Design data collection and management plans,
- Analyze and synthesize research findings to inform evidence-based policies or recommendations,
- Develop a scientific hypothesis and design a research study to test the hypothesis, and
- Communicate research results in technical and non-technical terms to potential stakeholders.
- SPH BS 805 Intermediate Statistical Computing and Applied Regression Analysis (4 cr) or GH 811 Applied Research Methods in Global Health (4 cr)
- SPH EP 816 A Guided Epidemiologic Study (2 cr)
- SPH GH 762 Essentials of Economics and Finance for Global Health (4 cr)
- SPH PH 700 Foundations of Public Health (0 cr)
- SPH PH 750 Essentials of Population Health Research (4 cr)
- SPH PH 760 Accelerated Training in Statistical Computing (2 cr)
- SPH PH 870 Research Skills Seminar (2 cr)
- SPH PH 880 Research Dissemination Seminar (2 cr)
- SPH PH 890 Mentored Research Experience (0 cr)
- SPH SB 818 Qualitative Research Methods (4 cr)
- 10 credits from the following:
- SPH BS 750 Essential of Quantitative Data Management (2 cr)
- SPH GH 815 Methods for Impact evaluation (4 cr)
- SPH GH 854 Data to Dashboards (2 cr)
- SPH PM 822 Advanced Health Services Research Methods (4 cr)
- SPH PM 839 Implementation Science (4 cr)
Mentored Research Experience
The 400-hour mentored research experience requirement gives students the opportunity to collaborate with a BUSPH faculty member or an approved partner.