Graduate Certificate in Visual & Digital Health Communication
In today’s era of digital health, savvy communicators, marketers, and healthcare providers recognize that it takes effective storytelling and strategic social media practices to capture the engagement and participation of patients, consumers, or a desired target audience. How users experience social media, websites, mobile apps, videos, and branded content can make—or break—the success of an otherwise well-defined health campaign or project.
Boston University’s online Graduate Certificate in Visual & Digital Health Communication examines the impact of the communication technology revolution on the field of health marketing and communication, and prepares graduates for a career in this rapidly changing field. In the required courses, students will learn the fundamental principles of design and how to apply them to the creation of powerful health education and delivery application tools, such as infographics, data visualization graphics, videos, websites, mobile apps, and branded content. In addition, students will examine how social media is used in healthcare and why using it effectively and efficiently has become a necessary skill for many healthcare professionals.
- Knowledge of the value and significance of traditional, social, and emerging digital media practice in the health communication field.
- The ability to design communication strategies and methods that employ digital and visual information to influence audiences or effect change on health-related topics and issues.
- Expertise in the role that communication—including digital and visual content—plays in the healthcare industry.
- The capacity to analyze, synthesize, interpret, and present health and scientific information for public consumption using clear and concise messaging.
- Proficiency in creating digital images and visual tools—including infographics, branded content, video, data visualization graphics, webpage, and mobile page design—that purposefully and ethically help bridge digital divides in health education and comprehension.
For current admissions information, please visit the Metropolitan College website.
Required Curriculum (four courses/16 credits)
- MET HC 762 Visual Communication in the Digital Health Age
- MET HC 763 Social Media Strategies and Tactics for Healthcare
And two selected from the following:
- MET HC 550 US Healthcare System
- MET HC 559 Health Communication Principles and Strategies
- MET HC 560 Research Methods for Health Communication
- MET HC 561 Writing for Health
- MET HC 651 Epidemiology for Health Communication
- MET HC 652 Biology of Disease
- MET HC 655 Healthcare Marketing Strategies
- MET HC 656 Healthcare Public Relations
- MET HC 657 Digital Marketing for Healthcare
- MET HC 658 Media Relations for Healthcare
Students who complete a graduate certificate and earn a B or better in each of the four certificate courses can be automatically admitted into the Master of Science in Health Communication degree program. To receive the degree, students must successfully complete 32 credits as indicated on the Health Communication page.