Certificate in International Business Law
The Certificate in International Business Law (CIBL) is a four-course, 12-credit certificate offered by the Executive LLM Program in International Business Law at the School of Law. The program is open for enrollment in the fall, spring, and summer semesters for part-time students. It is designed to provide students with a more comprehensive and/or specialized understanding of areas related to international business law as taught from an American perspective, through a wide range of courses, allowing for personalized tailoring of the curriculum depending on a student’s professional and personal goals and needs.
Students will demonstrate:
- A basic understanding of international business law from a US perspective.
- A cultural understanding of issues raised in international and US business law.
- A basic understanding of the practical considerations of international business law (i.e., “the law in practice”).
- Familiarity with issue spotting and problem-solving methods employed by US-trained lawyers.
- The ability to market their professional skills.
The certificate consists of one required course, International Business Transactions and Agreements (3 credits). The remaining 9 credits must be taken from the following list of approved Executive LLM courses, all of which are offered in blended or all-online format:
- US Contract Law for International Lawyers
- US Corporate Law for International Lawyers
- US and Trans-Border Securities Regulation
- US and Trans-Border Mergers & Acquisitions
- Corporate Finance with US and International Reporting
- International Business Transactions and Agreements (blended and online)
- US and International Intellectual Property
- International Arbitration
- Fundamentals of Compliance Management for Multinational Enterprises (online)
- Legal Risk Management in International Trade and Finance (online)
- Deals: The Legal Engineering behind Corporate Transactions
- Transnational Legal Practice (online)
- Cyber Law and Governance (online)
- Directed Study (3 credits only)
All courses for the CIBL must be completed with an overall GPA of 2.7 (“B–”), and with a grade of “C” or better in all courses taken.