Online Graduate Certificate Program in Clinical Research
Clinical research is the fastest-growing discipline in the burgeoning medical device and pharmaceutical industries. Keeping pace with the ever-increasing body of knowledge and new regulatory procedures generated by advances in clinical research is critical to career success. The Boston University Online Graduate Certificate in Clinical Research, designed and offered by the BU Chobanian & Avedisian School of Medicine, is an opportunity for clinical researchers, health professionals, and those interested in clinical research to gain a critical understanding of the scientific fundamentals of human research. Courses in the curriculum provide an in-depth look at a number of the key elements in clinical investigation, including: trial design and conduct, clinical research regulations, good clinical practices of research, and the critical evaluation of clinical research in the medical literature. The program can be completed in one year, across two semesters. We accept applications for both September and January start dates.
At the completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate the ability to design a clinical research protocol.
- Demonstrate the ability to read and critique the clinical research literature.
- Demonstrate the ability to interpret and apply the research regulations, and practices that guide good clinical practice in clinical research.
Upon completion, students will have developed essential skills and understanding involving the elements and importance of good clinical research design, implementation, and practices. Clinical and health professionals of all varieties—including physicians; research nurses; study coordinators; managers in clinical research and site management; and professionals in the pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and medical device industries as well as CRO and SMO organizations—will benefit from this opportunity to:
- Earn a graduate certificate from the Chobanian & Avedisian SOM, a leading research institution
- Complete a valuable professional credential in just two to four full semesters of study
- Increase skills and knowledge in clinical research
- Apply a portion of the credits (up to 8 credits) toward the MSCR degree
- Qualify to sit for the Association of Clinical Research Professionals (ACRP) Clinical Research Coordinator (CRC) exam
The certificate program consists of four online courses:
- GMS CI 660 OL Good Clinical Practices (4 cr)
- GMS CI 675 OL Designing Clinical Research Studies (4 cr)
- GMS CI 640 OL Regulatory and Compliance Issues (4 cr)
- GMS CI 789 OL Critical Evaluation of the Medical Literature (4 cr)