Academic Standing

University Policy

College of Engineering Policy


The academic status of every student in the College of Engineering is reviewed at the end of each semester. Failure to make satisfactory progress can result in academic probation, suspension for a stated time or until stated conditions are met, academic dismissal, or permanent suspension. For details on good standing, probation, suspension, and reinstatement, please refer to the University policy on Academic Standing for Undergraduate Students in Full-time Programs.

Leave of Absence

Students wishing to take a leave of absence or withdraw from the College must submit their requests in writing to the University Service Center, 881 Commonwealth Avenue (lower level), Boston, MA 02215. A leave of absence or withdrawal is effective on the day the signed request is received; tuition and fees are canceled in accordance with the University’s refund schedule, which is published by the University Registrar. Exit interviews are conducted with students who visit the University Service Center.

Undergraduate students who have left the College voluntarily for one or more semesters must contact the Undergraduate Programs office at the College of Engineering before returning.

Students who matriculate at another institution and wish to return must apply for transfer admission through BU Admissions.


The academic progress of every graduate student is reviewed at the end of each semester. Failure to make satisfactory progress and remain in Good Standing can result in Academic Probation, Suspension for a stated time or until stated conditions are met, or Dismissal, as detailed below.

Grades of C– or lower are not acceptable for master’s degrees; Grades of C+ or lower for PhD students are interpreted as failures.

Good Standing

Students maintain good academic standing when they: (1) earn a semester GPA of at least 3.00 (students enrolled only in Pass/Fail courses are exempt from the semester GPA standard); and (2) maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 3.00.

Academic Probation

A student is put on Academic Probation when s/he earns a semester or cumulative GPA below 3.00. Students on Academic Probation may have their financial aid discontinued. In the event that the semester or cumulative GPA is below a 2.00, a student may be dismissed from the program.

Students are reviewed after one semester on Academic Probation. Those who earn a semester and cumulative GPA of 3.00 or above will return to Good Standing. Those students who do not achieve Good Standing (as defined above) after the probationary semester will be subject to Academic Suspension, Dismissal, or an additional semester of Academic Probation as determined by the College on a case-by-case basis.

Academic Suspension

A student on Academic Probation faces Academic Suspension or Dismissal when s/he has not achieved Good Standing (as defined above) after the most recent semester of Academic Probation. Specifics regarding Dismissal or the duration and terms of the Academic Suspension will be determined by the College on a case-by-case basis. Dismissal results in permanent separation from the University. Appeals of Dismissal or Suspension are directed to the Associate Dean for Academic Programs.

Reinstatement after Academic Suspension

Students who have fulfilled their period of Academic Suspension must meet with their academic advisor and must also reestablish their standing in the College by contacting the College of Engineering Graduate Programs office.