Withdrawal, Leave of Absence, and Reinstatement

University Policy

College of General Studies Policy

Leaving the University

Students deciding to leave the University may take a leave of absence or may withdraw permanently. A leave of absence (LOA) from the University implies a temporary interruption in studies and a return date. Students away on a leave of absence may not enroll as full-time, matriculating students at another college or university, although taking a course or two as non-degree or special students is allowed. A withdrawal (WD) from the University is more permanent. Students should only withdraw if they do not intend to return to Boston University.

Students wishing to voluntarily withdraw or take a leave of absence from the College must do so by submitting a signed request to the University Service Center (881 Commonwealth Avenue), where they will also meet with a member of the University Service Center staff. A withdrawal or leave of absence is effective on the day the signed request is received; tuition and fees are canceled in accordance with the University’s refund schedule, which is published by the Office of the University Registrar and is available on its website.


To return from leave of absence, students contact the College of General Studies Associate Dean via email, cgs@bu.edu, or by calling 617-353-2850.