BA in Spanish/MA in Hispanic Language & Literatures

The BA/MA, offered in conjunction with the Graduate School of Arts & Sciences (GRS), gives high-performing undergraduate students the opportunity to earn a graduate degree during their time at Boston University. Many students find the MA a valuable asset in their postgraduation career plans. Through additional study, students develop a coherent program with the following objectives: a knowledge of the major historical periods of specialization; an understanding of the critical approaches applicable in the study of literature and culture, and of some of the methods of analysis of linguistic phenomena; as well as a high level of proficiency in oral and written expression.


Applicants to the BA/MA program in Spanish/Hispanic Language & Literatures are expected to have a minimum GPA of 3.3 or higher. Particular attention is paid to grades earned within the major.

The primary requirements for this program are a total of 144 credits, and the cumulative completion of at least 8 courses in Hispanic languages and literatures at or above the 500-level. These 500-level courses may be taken at any appropriate stage in the student’s studies, so that the MA portion of the BA/MA degree will most often be completed in one semester beyond the achievement of the 128 credits needed for the BA.

Students who are interested in the BA/MA program are encouraged to pursue study abroad opportunities in Madrid, Santiago, or Mexico early in their studies at Boston University, and to consult frequently with their faculty advisor.

The deadline to apply is March 1 of the student’s junior year.

Please refer to the BA/MA and BA/MS Programs section of this Bulletin for additional general information, including the application procedure, or consult the Director of Graduate Studies in the Department of Romance Studies with any specific questions. Information about placement tests, requirements for the undergraduate major in Hispanic Language & Literatures, and other questions can be found on the departmental website, or in the appropriate section of this Bulletin.