The Department of Anesthesiology at Boston Medical Center (BMC) strives to offer exceptional care, without exception, to patients undergoing surgery and chronic pain-related procedures.
BMC performs approximately 30,000 cases per year of all types, including pediatric and obstetrical procedures and complex minimally invasive robotic operations. Additionally, BMC is a nationally recognized Level One trauma center.
The Department of Anesthesiology is committed to providing medical students the most rewarding experience in this specialty. The Department offers clerkships for third-year students and specialized rotations in clinical, research, multimedia, and other scholarly activities for fourth-year medical students.
Resources and Department Accomplishments
The Department of Anesthesiology is very active in education, simulation, product development, and scholarly activities. It has a variety of noteworthy resources and recent accomplishments, including:
Resources and Publications
- A residency program with a five-year cycle ACGME accreditation status
- A state-of-the-art simulation center
- A busy multimedia center with publications in the New England Journal of Medicine, World Health Organization, American Society of Anesthesiology, and textbooks
- A variety of publications in peer-reviewed journals and textbooks
- Distinguished visiting professorships to and from our institution
- Active participation in the ASA, MSA, and Wood Library Museum
Accomplishments and Accolades
- The highest percentage of its residents passing the American Board of Anesthesiology examinations on the first attempt
- Award-winning scientific and educational exhibits at recent ASA and PGA Annual Meetings
- Recognition by the Anesthesia Patient Safety Foundation for having the best safety-related exhibits two years consecutively at national meetings
The Department of Anesthesiology remains a strong provider of clinical care as well as a superb educational resource for both medical students and residents.