The Cape Town Program offers students the opportunity to pursue courses in their designated fields of study through direct enrollment at the University of Cape Town. Students will also be able to take advantage of courses, staff, facilities and cultural excursions offered by IES Abroad. Cape Town offers students the opportunity to experience modern South African society and explore the natural wonders surrounding the city. The University of Cape Town, the highest ranked university in Africa and oldest university in South Africa, is situated near the base of Table Mountain National Park.
Requirements & Considerations
- All students must enroll according to, and remain in compliance with, the Boston University Study Abroad Course Load Policy.
- Admissions requirements for all programs
- Students must also meet eligibility requirements for IES Abroad:
- Per IES Admissions policy, 2.75 GPA or better on a 4.0 scale (GPAs under 2.75 will be considered on a case-by-case basis and may require additional documentation)
- Students wishing to pursue Direct Enrollment at UCT must also meet the following criteria:
- Per UCT admissions policy, 3.0 GPA or better on a 4.0 scale (GPAs under 3.0 will be considered on a case-by-case basis and will require additional documents outlined in a section below)
- Sophomore, Junior, or Senior standing when program begins. Applicants need to have at least three semesters of course work when they enroll at the UCT (first semester sophomores can apply). Some local university courses may not be available to students of Sophomore standing. Please contact your IES Abroad Representative for more details.
Please note that a minimum enrollment is necessary for an IES Abroad course to be offered for the semester, and availability is subject to change. All courses are taught by local faculty.
University of Cape Town Courses
Choose from many courses in the following faculties at the University of Cape Town:
- Commerce – Accounting, Business Law, Economics, Finance & Tax, Information Systems, Marketing, Mathematics, Statistics
- Engineering & the Built Environment – Architecture, Civil Engineering, Chemical/Electrical/Mechanical Engineering
- Humanities – Communication, Dance, Drama, English Literature and Language, Film & Media, Fine Art, Gender Studies, History, Languages and Literature, Linguistics, Music, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Religious Studies, Social Anthropology, Social Development, Social Work, Sociology
- Natural Sciences– Archaeology, Astronomy, Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Computer Science, Environmental & Geographical Science, Geographical Sciences, Mathematics & Applied Materials, Molecular & Cellular Biology, Oceanography, Physics, Statistical Sciences
Specific course listings and options are available to view on the University of Cape Town website.
IES Abroad Health, Culture and Development
Below is a sample of IES Abroad course offerings. These course offerings are subject to change:
- The Literature of Change
- Power & Protest: Apartheid to Present
- Childhood & Youth
- Sexuality and Gender
- Environment, Health & Development
- The Impact of Globalization on Health & Development
- Endemic Diseases & Their Socioeconomic Context
- Health & Community
- The Narrative of the Rainbow Nation: A Political History of Post-Apartheid South Africa
Housing & Student Services
- Students live in a private residence hall with other international students. Students live in a furnished single room with a kitchenette, private bathroom, and a digital safe is provided. Living spaces are shared, and there is a gym on site. Internet access is available. Meals are not included.
- An IES Abroad Resident Assistant lives in the residence hall and can serve as a great resource for tips on integrating into the local culture.
- Fall Semester: mid-July to mid-November
- Spring Semester: late January to mid-June
- Fall Semester: March 15
- Spring Semester: October 1
This program is rolling admissions; applications are reviewed once all application materials are received, prior to all deadlines. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that all required materials are received by the BU Study Abroad office. Students are encouraged to apply as early as possible as some programs and internship tracks have limited space and may fill up before the deadline. Submitting a complete application prior to the application deadline, does not guarantee acceptance. Students will be emailed an admissions decision within three weeks of a completed application.
Information for BU Students Awaiting an Admissions Decision and exceptions to the standard admission calendar for all students can be found here.
In addition to completing the standard BU Study Abroad application, students must apply through the IES Abroad online system. The IES Abroad application may not yet be available for your chosen semester.
Please note: Non-U.S. citizens must contact BU Study Abroad prior to submitting an application
Cost & Financial Considerations
- 2023/2024 Tuition & Fees: $25,915 per semester
Cost includes tuition, housing, program related activities, administrative fee, overseas medical insurance and emergency evacuation coverage.
- Budget sheet, including cost of living expenses
- Grants and Scholarships available