Sea Education Association (SEA) is an internationally recognized leader in field-based environmental education at sea. For over 40 years, they have educated undergraduates about the world’s oceans through their Boston University–accredited study abroad program, SEA Semester®. SEA is based on Cape Cod in the oceanographic research community of Woods Hole, Massachusetts. From Woods Hole, students depart for destinations across the globe.
Requirements & Considerations
- All students must enroll according to, and remain in compliance with, the Boston University Study Abroad Course Load Policy.
- No sailing experience is required
- No previous field experience is required
- Course prerequisites vary by program
- Admission requirements for all programs
Please refer to the SEA Semester website for course descriptions and syllabi, under Academics, and for faculty bios, under Faculty.
Housing & Student Services
- Co-ed cottages
- Double or triple single-sex rooms
- On SEA campus on Cape Cod
- Fully furnished
- Share responsibilities associated with community living including grocery shopping, cooking, and cleaning
- On board sailing research vessels
- Personal bunk
- Space for storage
- Fall Semester: August–November or September–December
- Spring Semester: January–March or February–May
Program participants will be notified of any changes to the program calendar.
- Fall Semester: March 15
- Spring Semester: October 1
This program is rolling admissions; applications are reviewed once all application materials are received, prior to all deadlines. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that all required materials are received by the BU Study Abroad office. Students are encouraged to apply as early as possible as some programs and internship tracks have limited space and may fill up before the deadline. Submitting a complete application prior to the application deadline, does not guarantee acceptance. Students will be emailed an admissions decision within three weeks of a completed application.
Information for BU Students Awaiting an Admissions Decision and exceptions to the standard admission calendar for all students can be found here.
In addition to completing the standard BU Study Abroad application, students must apply through SEA’s online application system.
(Please note that the SEA application may not yet be available for your chosen semester.)
Cost & Financial Considerations
- 2020/2021 Tuition & Fees: $31,900 per semester
Cost includes tuition, housing, board, excursions, emergency evacuation insurance.
- For more information on costs, please contact SEA Semester.
- Grants and Scholarships available