BU’s five Paris programs make the most of France’s capital city. The Institut d’Études Politiques de Paris (Sciences Po) Exchange, offered either fall or spring semester or for the full academic year, makes it possible for well-qualified Boston University students to study typically in their junior year at Sciences Po, an institution renowned for its strong programs in political science, international relations, economics, and history. Previous language study is helpful but not required.
Requirements & Considerations
- All students must enroll according to, and remain in compliance with, the Boston University Study Abroad Course Load Policy.
- Boston University students only
- Completion of at least four semesters of undergraduate study before going to Sciences Po
- Previous language study is helpful but not required, as courses may be taken all in French, English, or a mix of both
- Applicants who wish to complete the French certificate program at Sciences Po must have completed at least five semesters of college-level French and must demonstrate a high level of proficiency in the language.
- Admissions requirements for all programs (Students taking all classes in English have no language requirements.)
- Lecture courses in English or French (10 ECTS, worth 5 BU credits). These courses have a lecture session and an associated discussion/seminar element.
- Elective/Seminar/Language courses (5 ECTS, worth 3 BU credits).
Any combination of the above course types is possible so long as 30 ECTS are taken. Students are strongly encouraged to register for a French language course. Students have the opportunity to earn an official Sciences Po Certificate of Studies in Social Sciences and Humanities, which requires registering for at least one Lecture course as part of the overall 30 ECTS enrollment requirement. Students who do not enroll for a Lecture course are not eligible for the certificate.
Please note: students cannot enroll in Pass/Fail courses, Artistic Workshops or Sports classes for BU credit. More information on course availability can be found on the SciencesPo website.
Housing & Student Services
|Local Homestay||or||University Dormitory|
There are gyms at the university and in town. Students can study at the BU Paris Center. Many students study at home, as university libraries have more restricted hours than in the US.
- Academic Year: late August to late May
- Fall Semester: late August to mid-December
- Spring Semester: mid-January to late May
- Academic Year: March 15
- Fall Semester: March 15
- Spring Semester: September 15
Review of applications will begin according to the following timetable. Notification of admissions begins after the application deadline.
Cost & Financial Considerations
- 2021/2022 Tuition and Fees: $35,074
Cost includes tuition, housing, cultural activities, airfare from designated US cities, overseas medical insurance, and emergency evacuation coverage.
- Estimated program budget, including cost of living expenses.
- Grants and Scholarships available