Sydney Visa Information

Determine your eligibility for the visa type that you need:

  • Passport holders from Argentina, Austria, Brazil, Chile, China, Czech Republic, Ecuador, Greece, Hungary, Indonesia, Israel, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Mongolia, Papua New Guinea, Peru, Poland, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Uruguay, or Vietnam are eligible to study with the BU Sydney Internship Program with a Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462).
    • Please note that the Australian government currently limits the number of applications from the countries eligible for the subclass 462 visa, so it is possible that a cap for your country may have been met. Citizens of many countries listed will also need to meet certain education requirements in order to be eligible for the visa. Please review the education section on this page to confirm your eligibility.
  • Passport holders from Belgium, Canada, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Taiwan, and the UK are eligible to study with the BU Sydney Internship Program with a Working Holiday visa (subclass 417).
  • Passport holders from Australia do not need to apply for any additional immigration permission to study.
  • Passport holders from New Zealand who are not permanent residents of Australia are eligible to apply for the free Special Category visa (subclass 444). This can be done upon arrival in Australia and will allow you to work and study in Australia for as long as you remain a citizen of New Zealand.
  • If you do not hold a passport from any of the countries listed above, contact us immediately. Do not apply for a visa on your own.

Important Notes:

  • Although these visas are valid for a period of one year, only four months may be spent studying, which limits most students to one semester BU Study Abroad.
  • Australian Work and Holiday and Working Holiday visas are only available to those under the age of 30 and are typically only granted to an individual once in their lifetime. In some rare cases, you may apply for the visa a second time, however, the requirements for this visa are usually not applicable to students who have previously studied in Australia.