Alumni Association Awards for Writing Excellence
The College of Arts and Sciences is now accepting nominations for its prestigious Alumni Association Awards for Writing Excellence. Each year, the Alumni Association recognizes four outstanding student papers: two in the Humanities, one in the Natural Sciences and Mathematics, and one in the Social Sciences. Awards are $500 each. The deadline for submission is April 20, 2012. Students are welcome to nominate themselves, with support of a faculty member. Faculty members are also encouraged to nominate their best student writers. Criteria for submission of written work are as follows:
- The paper must be the work of a graduating CAS senior, written for a CAS course during either the junior or senior year.
- A chapter from Work for Distinction that can be read independently of the complete work is an acceptable submission even if it has not yet received a grade.
- Submissions should be 10-25 pages in length.
- Submissions must be expository, analytical, or research papers. Works of creative writing are not eligible.
- Papers written by two students are eligible, as long as research and writing were shared equally between the authors.
- Submissions must appear as they were submitted originally for a grade.
Submissions should include one clean copy and, if possible, one copy with the instructor’s grade and comments. Final decisions will be made by a committee of Writing Program faculty members. Winners will be recognized at the Class Day ceremony on Saturday, May 19, 2012.