Please join BU faculty from WLL, Art History, English, and Romance Studies...
Minor in Japanese Language and Literature (1108)
Required courses: six LJ courses numbered 240 and above, including LJ 303 and 304 and at least one course in literature. Up to four courses taken at Boston University’s program in Kyoto may count toward the minor. Students may include up to three transfer courses from other colleges, universities, or non-Boston University study abroad programs and must take a minimum of three courses (or a minimum of two, if they have four courses approved for credit toward the minor from Boston University’s program in Kyoto) on the Charles River Campus. Internships taken through Boston University or other study abroad programs may not be credited toward minor concentrations offered by the department. A grade of C or higher is required in all courses taken toward the minor.
Major in Japanese Language and Literature (1108)
A prerequisite of CAS LJ 212 (or equivalent placement) and thirteen courses with a grade of C or higher are required. Students must complete a minimum of six principal courses at Boston University.
1. Two of the following: CAS LX 250, XL222, L223, XL224, XL225
2. Three language courses: CAS LJ 303, 304, and one of LJ 314, 315, 320, 385, 386, 403, 404, 441, 445. Language courses taken at the Kyoto Center for Japanese Studies (KCJS) or Keio University may also count toward this requirement.
3. Three courses in Japanese literature: CAS LJ 250 and two from LJ 251, 350, 451, 480, and 481 (LJ 451 may be taken more than once if topic has changed).
4. Two courses in Japanese civilization: CAS LJ 281 or HI 369, and one additional from LJ 281, 282, 283, 445 (if not used to fulfill the advanced language requirement), and HI 369.
5. Three additional CAS LJ non-language courses at the 400-level or above or related courses in MLCL or other departments as approved by the advisor (Non-language courses taken in Kyoto (KCJS) or at Keio University may also count toward this requirement.)