Boston University Upward Bound (UB) and Upward Bound Math Science (UBMS) are college preparatory programs within the College Access & Student Success office at Wheelock, which enable students from select high schools in and around Greater Boston to participate in educational and career opportunities on the BU campus.
Recent UB and UBMS activities have included the creation of West African-inspired art and jewelry by using 3-D printers and laser cutters, referencing many styles and designs from the recent Black Panther film, along with the annual Career and College Awareness Day, during which students hear from groups of professionals in various fields and attend a college fair to better visualize their post-high school options. Rising seniors are also eligible to complete a paid internship during their final summer program.
Both programs partner with foundations and bring awareness to scholarships that UB and UBMS students may apply to. The established network of UB and UBMS alumni who’ve taken advantage of these resources in the past helps provide guidance to the current class preparing for their next steps.
Students participating in UB and UBMS this summer have a full agenda pf events and activities scheduled to participate in, including:
- Monday, 6/25: Morning student orientation
- Tuesday, 6/26: Prindle Pond Outdoor Center overnight trip
- Thursday, 6/28: Classes begin
- Wednesday, 7/11: UB Career and College Awareness Day; UBMS Labs
- Sunday, 7/15: Multicultural Pot Luck; Talent Show
- Tuesday, 7/24: Mock Trial
- Thursday, 7/26: Shakespeare field trip
- Monday-Tuesday, 7/30-31: Final exams
- Wednesday, 8/1: Project presentations; Awards rehearsal
- Thursday, 8/2: Field day; Awards ceremony dance
We will be covering several upcoming UB and UBMS events as they occur, so stay tuned!