Program Director for Deaf Education
Mr. Bruce Bucci has worked in the field of Deaf Education for 15 years as a teacher, team leader, workshop presenter (Deaf Education, Leadership and Organizational Change), ASL storyteller, and Instructor (McDaniel College, Holy Cross College, Rhode Island College and Boston University). He has a BA from Rhode Island College, a MEd from McDaniel College and an EdS from Gallaudet University. He currently teaches Deaf Literature, ASL Literature, Deaf Culture and History, and American Sign Language (ASL) as a second language. Mr. Bucci’s research includes the impact of a teacher’s ASL fluency skills in content area on Deaf students’ learning achievements in each content area. Currently, he serves as Coordinator of Deaf Studies programs and Co-Advisor for the Deaf Studies Club.
State of Rhode Island Department of Education School Certificate:
- Professional Teacher of Secondary Social Studies/History
- Professional Teacher of Hearing Disordered (Grade PK-12)
- Professional Special Education Administrator (Grades PK-12)
American Sign Language Performances
Rhode Island Association of the Deaf: October 2002, 2004, 2006 “ASL Show”
Rhode Island School for the Deaf: October 2004 “ASL Show”
Alumni Rhode Island School for the Deaf: September 2000 “Comedy Show”
Providence Deaf Club: February 2000 “Comedy Show”
Gallaudet University Summer Basketball Camp: 2001,2002 “Deaf Twin Brother Basketball Star”
National Catholic Office for the Deaf held their Pastoral Week Conference in Boston: 2012 “ASL storytelling, comedy and poetry”
Boston University Deaf Deaf World event: 2010,2011 and 2012 “ASL storytelling, comedy and poetry”
Awards and Recognition
- Worker of the Year, Student Body Government, Gallaudet University. 1989.
- Outstanding Leadership Award, Delta Sigma Phi, Gallaudet University. 1989.
- Dean’s List
- Outstanding Leadership Award, Deaf Education Graduate Program, Western Maryland College. 1996.
- Distinguished Contribution as Commissioner, Governor Commission on the Deaf and Hard of Hearing. 1999.
- RI Legislator Award, Governor Commission on the Deaf and Hard of Hearing. 2007.
- Outstanding Leadership Award, Hamilton Relay Services. 2007.
- BU 2011 Class Gift Campaign Honoree
- BU 2011 Honored Special Faculty by the Department of Athletics
Professional and Community Affiliation
- Rhode Island Association of the Deaf
- National Association of the Deaf
- American Society for Deaf Children
- Gallaudet Leadership Institute
- Council on Education of the Deaf
- Rhode Island School for the Deaf Alumni Association
- Model Secondary School for the Deaf Alumni Association
- Gallaudet University Alumni Association
- Massachusetts Association of the Deaf
- New England Athletic Association of the Deaf
- The Learning Center Parents Association (President)
- Massachusetts Commission on the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Hoy committee member
- Association of College Educators-Deaf & Hard of Hearing
- American Sign Language Teachers Association
Ed.S., Change Leadership in Education. Gallaudet University, Washington, DC. May 2006.
M.S., Deaf Education. McDaniel College, Westminster, MD. August 1997.
B.A., Secondary Social Science. Rhode Island College, Providence, RI. May 1995.
DE 500 Introduction to the Deaf World
DE 570 American Sign Language I
DE 571 American Sign Language II
DE574 Practicum: Initial Strategies Graduate Program in Education of the Deaf
DE 590 American Sign Language III
DE 591 American Sign Language IV
DE 693 American Sign Language VI
Northeastern University ASL festival: March 2012 Master of Ceremony
Northeastern University ASL interpreter program: March 2012 “Develop ASL video assessments for Interpreters”
Horace Mann School for the Deaf: June 2011 “Reach Your Goals and Do Your Best”
Maryland School for the Deaf: May 2007“ Self Respect”
Rhode Island Association of the Deaf: October 2006 “Quality life as a Deaf person in RI”
Rhode Island Commission on the Deaf and Hard of Hearing: October 1997 “Tri-Vision”
Catonsville Community College: February 1996“ Interpreter Program”
RI Exeter High School: 1998 “Empowered as Successful Athletes and Leader in your community”
Gallaudet University: 1988 Fall Homecoming and First Deaf President of Gallaudet inauguration Ballroom “Master of Ceremony”