The Consortium for Graduate Studies in Gender, Culture, Women, and Sexuality
The Consortium for Graduate Studies in Gender, Culture, Women, and Sexuality (GCWS), based at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, brings together faculty and students from nine Boston-area universities and colleges who share an interest in women’s, gender, and sexuality studies. Consortium courses involve a team of faculty who hail from different institutions and different disciplines. Students also come from many disciplines and from the various universities which participate in the GCWS, including Harvard, MIT, Brandeis, Boston College, and Boston University. The GCWS’s team-taught, interdisciplinary courses can provide a fantastic supplement to the programs of graduate students at BU. One GCWS course is required for the Graduate Certificate in WGS.
- With the approval of the faculty of their BU graduate program, a student may receive a grade and graduate credit for completing a GCWS course that has been established on the MIT inventory. That approval is signified by the BU official signatures on the forms (step 2, 3 below). An MIT twelve unit course is equivalent to a BU four-credit course.
- The student should fill out a BU Cross Registration Petition (available on the Registrar’s Office web site.
- The student must also fill out the GCWS Student Registration form, securing all signatures as indicated (the Director of WGS will sign for the ‘Academic Dean’ of school/faculty).
- Copies of the GCWS registration form will be forwarded to the BU Cross Registration staff member in the Registrar’s Office.
- Once the course has been completed and graded, an official MIT transcript will be forwarded to BU. The grade and course title will be added to the BU transcript.
- Standard BU tuition charges will apply; BU financial aid may be used for these courses.
Boston University Graduates Students can enroll in GCWS courses. There is no additional fee.