Minor in WGS
The interdisciplinary minor in Women’s, Gender, & Sexuality Studies introduces students to scholarship relating to women, gender, and sexuality in the natural sciences, social sciences, and humanities, and enhances their understanding of traditional academic disciplines. In consultation with the directors of undergraduate studies, students develop a minor that is suited to their fields of interest and complements their major. Students must complete six courses in women’s, gender, and sexuality studies with a grade of C or higher. Currently there are over 50 courses from 14 departments or programs that provide credit toward the Women’s, Gender, & Sexuality Studies minor.
- Core Courses: WS 101 and WS 102
- One Principal 300 – level course designated WS
- WS 305 Critical Issues in Women’s Studies, WS 305, WS 305/EN 326, WS 305/XL 381
- WS 340 Women, Race, and Gender in Mass Media
- WS 342 Women, Law, and Society
- WS 344 Images of Women in Popular Fiction
- WS 346 Women and Film
- WS 348 Gender and International Development
- WS 350 / PO 342 Women and Politics
- WS 360 Global Feminism
- WS 491, 492 Directed Study: Women’s and Gender Studies
- Three additional WS or approved courses from other disciplines, two of which must be at the 300 level or higher.
MINOR REQUIREMENTS BREAKDOWN
- 3 Required Courses
- WS 101
- WS 102
- WS 300 level course
- 3 Additional WS courses OR previously approved courses that count toward a minor
- 200 or 300 level course
- 300 level course
- 300 level course
Click here to view a flyer containing all the courses the Women’s, Gender & Sexuality Studies Program will be offering in the fall of 2014.
Declaration of the Minor
To be listed as current Women’s, Gender, & Sexuality Studies minor, students need to complete a minor declaration form for the College of Arts and Sciences and the School of Communication. The CAS form is available in the WGS office and in CAS 105. The COM form is also available in the WGS office and in COM. Anyone filling out a form in CAS 105 or COM should be sure to stop by the WGS office or send in their name, email, and local address for inclusion on the Women’s, Gender, & Sexuality Studies mailing list for our newsletter and announcements regarding our activities.