Second Annual Fitbit® Walking Challenge
We’re pleased to announce the second annual, team-based BU Fitbit® Walking Challenge!
A large part of staying happy and healthy is staying active. But let’s face it, staying active is sometimes easier said than done. We’re here to help motivate you to get moving by introducing a little healthy competition.
Last year, over 1,600 faculty and staff came together and logged a total of 682,054,408 steps over the 6-week Challenge! This year, we challenge you to create a team, designate a leader and compete against your colleagues to log even more steps than last year, all the while competing for some awesome prizes!
This year’s challenge takes place from April 9th to May 21st. Fitbit® Flexes and Altas will be provided on a first come, first served basis while supplies last, but you can still participate without a Fitbit® device. At the end of the challenge, prizes will be awarded to the three teams with the highest average steps.
The process to participate:
- Create a team with 5-20 BU employees and designate a team leader
- Team leader emails firstname.lastname@example.org by March 19th and includes the team name, team campus (MD or CR) and the Name, BUID and BU email address of all team members*
- Team leader receives confirmation regarding Fitbit® availability and creates the team through the BCBS ahealthyme® website
- Team participants accept the team invitation on BCBS ahealthyme® and start getting active!
*Complete instructions for team leaders may be found in the Team Leader Guide.
|March 19||Deadline for team leader to submit teams to email@example.com|
|April 2||Devices available at Human Resources for pickup by the team leader|
|April 4||Team Leader creates team on BCBS ahealthyme® and team members accept|
|April 9||Challenge Begins!|
|April 15||Last day to enroll in the challenge through BCBS and pick up Fitbit® devices|
|May 21||Challenge Ends|
In order to participate, there are a few steps involved such as setting up your Fitbit® and ahealthyme® accounts, joining your team and syncing steps. We’ve created these guides to help you get set up for the challenge.
|1st prize||One year of Monthly Sargent Choice Snack Breaks for the entire Team|
|2nd prize||Sargent Choice Lunch Celebration|
|3rd prize||Sargent Choice Breakfast Celebration|
Individual Prize Drawings:*
*All employees who participate in the challenge and log at least 294,000 over the course of the challenge will be entered in the prize drawing.
- The challenge is administered through the BCBS ahealthyme® website. If you aren’t a member of a Boston University Health or Dental Plan, please contact the BCBS ahealthyme® support line at 888-617-0696 (M-F, 8am-6pm) to obtain your username and pin to access the site. Pins and usernames will be available starting Monday, March 19th. If you participated in the Challenge last year, you may use the same username and pin.
- We have a limited supply of Fitbit® devices for distribution for this Challenge. Fitbit devices will be distributed on a first-come, first-served basis. Priority will be given to those employees who did not receive a device during the Challenge last year. If you received a Fitbit® device last year, you should continue to use that device.
- If you already have a Fitbit® device, you may use it to participate. Devices by other brands do not sync with the BCBS website at this time, however, you may manually enter your steps from another device into the BCBS website.
- First time Fitbit® users must register devices with Fitbit® before syncing devices with ahealthyme®. Complete instructions may be found in the Participant Guide.
- In order to be eligible to participate, you must be a regular employee of the University, and you must be employed at BU starting as of February 28, 2018. If you are hired after this date, we look forward to including you in the Challenge next year. Students, volunteers, non-compensated, and temporary employees hired through Terrier Temps are not eligible to participate.
- If the team leader does not pick up the devices by April 15th, the devices will be forfeited by the team and used for the challenge the following year.
- We are not responsible for any lost or malfunctioning devices. If you are having any issues with your Fitbit® device, we recommend contacting Fitbit® for help with your device toll-free at (877) 623-4997or firstname.lastname@example.org.