WARC Travel Grant 2012-2013
This year all applications for WARA grants, including the WARC Travel Grant, must be submitted online. Below are descriptions of each grant. To apply, click here.
The WARA Travel Grant (French and Portuguese versions available) program promotes intra-African cooperation and exchange among researchers and institutions by providing support to African scholars and graduate students for research visits to other institutions on the continent. Funded through a grant from the Educational and Cultural Affairs Bureau of the US Department of State, the West African Research Center in Dakar, Senegal offers travel costs up to $1500 and a stipend of $1500 to selected scholars. This competition is open only to West African nationals affiliated with institutions of higher education. Travel grant funds may be used to 1) attend and present papers at academic conferences relevant to the applicant’s field of research; 2) visit libraries or archives that contain resources necessary to the applicant’s current academic work; 3) engage in collaborative work with colleagues at another institution; 4) travel to a research site.
Online applications must include the following:
- A brief (50-80 word) abstract of the activity to be funded, beginning with a clear statement of purpose
- A description (6 double-spaced pages maximum) of the applicant’s research and how the proposed travel is relevant to this work. This should be presented in a language understandable to non-specialist readers
- A curriculum vitae with research and teaching record when relevant
- If attending a conference, an abstract of the paper to be read and a letter of acceptance to the conference
- If visiting another institution, an invitation from host institution
- If travel is to consult archives or other materials, a description of the collections to be consulted and their significance to the applicant’s research.
- For graduate students, a letter of recommendation by the professor overseeing their research
- Proof of citizenship in the form of a photocopy of the applicant’s passport (please note: this competition is open only to West African nationals eligible for non-immigrant visas to the U.S.)
Application deadlines 2012-2013
March 15, 2013 for travel to take place between July 1, 2013 and Dec. 31, 2013
September 15, 2013 for travel to take place between Jan. 1, 2014 and June 30, 2014
Late applications NOT will be considered.
All materials should be submitted online, click here for WARC Travel Grant online application.
Inquiries may be addressed to:
West African Research Center/Centre de Recherche Ouest Africaine
B.P. 5456 (Fann Residence)
Rue E x Léon G. Damas
Dakar , Senegal
Tel: 221-865-22-77; Fax: 221-824-20-58; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Funding for the WARC Travel Grant Program is provided by the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs of the US Department of State through a grant from the Council of American Overseas Research Centers.