Positions at Pathogenica
245 First Street
Cambridge, MA 02142
PATHOGENICA: Research Assistant Clinical Genomics (Spring and Summer Positions)
The successful applicant will work closely with a senior team members in the laboratory. The RA will perform biological and biochemical experiments aimed at the identification of bacterial, viral and fungal organisms.
Required skills include nucleic acid isolation and characterization and general molecular biology / microbiology techniques, particularly nucleic acid extraction. Undergraduate degree in biology or 2 or more years in an academic/industry research setting; prior experience in a research laboratory; comfort working with and around BL2 pathogens; experience in real-time PCR (QPCR) and DNA sequencing. A willingness to learn and desire to go the extra mile are essential. The Research Assistant is expected to participate in lab meetings and to assist with general lab tasks and maintenance.
Preferred candidates will have excellent communication skills. Pay is commensurate with experience. This role is ideal for a highly motivated and diligent individual who wants to “get in early” with an exciting venture, to become a key member of our team, participate in our strategy, and deliver success.
Candidates must be authorized to work in the USA for any employer.
PATHOGENICA: Scientist II – Bioinformatics
A talented project leader for a small team, you will design and develop complex data management, workflow, and data analysis systems that support genomics research projects. You will work with bench researchers and end users to determine requirements and specifications for core and custom projects.
- Lead bioinfomatics group development and strategy to service internal research and customer-facing projects.
- Design, implement, and maintain major new areas of functionality in a multi-tier cloud-based distributed computing environment.
- Interact with scientists, computational biologists, senior management and other developers to determine and prioritize requirements.
- Collaborate with documentation specialists to produce customer documentation and tutorials.
- Perform in depth evaluation of data and information to solve complex problems. Proactively make technical recommendations to senior management. Document planning, design, issue resolution, and other technical information. Advise and influence senior and junior staff and managers.
- Plan project requirements and works with senior management to allocate resources. Proactively raise and recommend resolution of technical issues.
- Ensure that designs meet performance and robustness requirements. Lead optimization and parallelization efforts where needed.
- Monitor deployed production systems to ensure responsiveness of various applications
- Interact with senior management to schedule deliverables and ensure their on-time delivery.
- Work closely with users to obtain requirements and proposes algorithms and GUI designs necessary to achieve goals.
- Participate in outreach activities such as workshops, conferences.
- Mentor junior team members in software development best practices.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Bioinformatics or related field and 3+ years of software development experience required. Masters degree or higher preferred.
- Significant exposure to an analytic field such as bioinformatics, computational biology, machine learning, or statistics highly desirable.
- Previous experience in bioinformatics analysis software development or development and maintenance of production bioinformatics data.
- Expertise of one of Perl, Python/Jython, C/C++ or Ruby.
- Knowledge of Java, LIMS, Oracle and SQL is important. Experience with large-scale databases/transactional systems is preferred.
- Experience with cloud computing desirable.
- Experience in GUI tool design for scientific/numerical applications a plus.
- Demonstrated experience in bringing applications from design to delivery stages.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Self-starter with excellent problem-solving, organizational, and people skills. Team player essential.
- Must be able to deal with a rapidly-changing and high-demand environment.