Guidelines and links for recommendation forms.
- Recommendation forms must be filled out by faculty mentors; Kerberos authentication is required for submission.
- Recommendations are confidential; contents will not be shared with the applicant.
- Your recommendation should address the student’s qualifications for the proposed research project. The selection committee weighs these comments heavily when rating applications; please keep this in mind when explaining why you are recommending the student for UROP funding.
- If matching funds are not available, please make a note of it and provide a brief explanation. We prefer to reserve SRAs (which are fully funded by UROP) for deserving students whose mentors are truly unable to contribute to the stipend.
- If your student is applying for a Supplies Award (which will be transferred to the mentor’s department to purchase research-related supplies), the recommendation should provide some justification for the proposed purchases listed on the student’s application.
- A unique recommendation must be submitted for each application. If recommending two students to work on the same project, please address their individual strengths and contributions. If recommending continuing research on a previously funded project, address the caliber of work done so far and the expected benefits of continuing the project.
- Faculty mentors must read the student’s application prior to submission. The selection committee does not look favorably on applications that have not been reviewed by the mentor.
Learn more about eligibility and types of funding, awards, and grants.
Standard Recommendation Form
Use for applications for Stipend Awards (FMG and SRA) and Supplies Awards; form is due by midnight on the application due date.
Travel Awards Recommendation Form
Use for applications for Research-Related Travel Awards and Conference Participation Awards.
If you are unsure which form to use, call us at 617-353-2020, or send a message to email@example.com.