Sheryl GraceAssociate Professor Rm 407, 110 Cummington (617) 353 7364 email@example.com Publications Invited Talks I love studying airplanes, engines, helicopters, wind turbines, and anything with an interesting associated unsteady flow!
Boston University Affiliation:
- Associate Professor of (Aerospace and) Mechanical Engineering, (2001-present)
- Assistant Professor of Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering (1995-2001)
- Ph.D. Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering, May, 1995, University of Notre Dame
- M.S. Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering, May, 1993, University of Notre Dame
- M.S. Applied Mathematics, May, 1991, Oklahoma State University
- B.S. Applied Mathematics (minor Computer Science), May, 1989, University of Akron
Boston University Activities (highlights):
- Women in Science and Engineering Founder, Chair (2004-2006), Vice-chair (2006-2008)
- NSF ADVANCE PAID – WIN – program manager (2009-2011)
- Chair web committee – total overhaul of web page – (Fall 2009-2013)
- Council for Faculty Diversity and Inclusion (Fall 2006-Spring 2008)
- Undergraduate committee AME Dept. (2000-present)
- BU AME Department ABET coordinator, Fall, 2002.
- Inaugural Board member, Center for Excellence in Teaching, BU. (2001-2002)
- Faculty advisor for student chapter of AIAA at Boston University, “outstanding chapter” award 96/97,98/99, & 00/01 (spring 1995-spring 2002)(2013-present)
- Associate chair for the Aerospace Program at Boston University, Undergraduate engineering committee member at Boston University, ABET coordinator (1996-1998)
Professional Affiliations and Activities (highlights)Associate Editor Journal of Vibrations and Acoustics (2013-present) Member expert panel on wind turbine noise : Canadian Health Council (2013-present) MASS Department of Environmental Protection : Wind and Noise Technical Advisory Group (2013) MASS Clean Energy Commission : Wind turbine study : Technical Advisory Group (2012-present) MASS Department of Environmental Protection : Working group on Wind Turbines (2011) ASME – member:
- Executive Committee Noise Control and Acoustics Division: Secretary/Treasurer 2003, Chair 2004, Vice Chair 2005.
- ASME, NCAD program chair for IMECE, Fall, 2004.
AIAA – associate fellow
- Aeroacoustics Technical Committee 2001-2006, Meetings Subcommittee Chair 2002-2005.
- AIAA, Aeroacoustics program chair for Aerospace Sciences Meeting, Jan. 2003.
Honors and Awards:
- INSIGHT Into Diversity Inspiring Women IN STEM Award, 2016
- Derek Brewer visiting faculty fellowship at Emmanuel College, Cambridge University, Lent term 2004.
- Faculty Service Award, BU COE, Spring 2002.
- AIAA National Faculty Advisor Award, January, 2001.
- Invited to be guest lecturer for the von Karman Institute Lecture Series on Aeroacoustics, 2001, 2004.
Courses taught at BU:
- EK 301 Mechanics I
- EK 131/132: Aerodynamics of Gliders
- EK 133: Wind
- AM 420: Aerodynamics
- AM 422: Fluids II
- AM 405: Propulsion
- AM 423: Compressible Flow
- ME 425: Compressible flow and Propulsion
- AM 201, ME 321: Introduction to Aircraft Performance
- ME 303: Fluids I
- AM 542: Advanced Aerodynamics
- AM 520: Acoustics I
- ME 702: Computational Fluid Dynamics
- ME 713/ ME 500: Viscous Flow
- Summer pathways (high-school), U-design (middle school) guest lectures and lab demonstrations (2008-present)
- Wind energy basics – lecture and meeting – Cambridge middle school as part of BU GK-12 GLACIER program (spring 2012)
- Developer and Instructor for College’s U-Design Camp: Flight school for middle-school students. (Summer 2007).
- Bottle rocket activity : King Open grade school Cambridge (2009, 2011)
- Balloon propulsion activity : King Open grade school Cambridge (2010)
- AME Day co-organizer (2007)
- NASA Connect storm tracker film project. AIAA Student group and Gate of Heaven K-8 school in Boston (2008)
- Engine refurbishment and outreach project – Hanscom Airshow (1995-1999), Engine continues to be used for outreach today.