Rental Vehicle Accident Procedures
Rental Vehicle Damage or Accident Procedures:
Remember to use the Travel Card for car rentals to receive free primary collision damage waiver (CDW) insurance for the full value of a rental vehicle. Use of the Card reduces the University’s expenditures for any accidents, and helps the department avoid a $500 deductible for any at fault accidents. This coverage is currently available worldwide and includes automobiles, 15 passenger minivans, and sport utility vehicles traveling on municipal, state, and federally maintained roads.
In the event of an accident involving a rental vehicle while traveling on University business, the traveler should immediately, and prior to leaving the location of the accident, call local law enforcement to file the appropriate police and rental company reports.
After local law enforcement and the Rental Agency is notified the following steps should be taken:
- If the rental vehicle was reserved and paid for with the US Bank Travel and Business Expense Visa, the renter should contact US Bank directly at 1-800-VISA-911 (1-800-847-2911). Making this phone call is required to ensure the traveler can take advantage of the additional rental insurance the University has negotiated with US Bank.
PLEASE NOTE: The call to US Bank must be made within 24 hours of the incident and by the travel card holder.
- File a Concur Travel and Expense Report within 30 days of the trip end date per usual
- For any additional issues pertaining to the incident please call the University Risk Management Office and be prepared to provide the following information:
- Statement confirming details of the accident occurring on University related business;
- Copy of rental agreement (both sides)
- Copy of approved travel expense report supporting car rental
- Correspondence, if any, from the car rental agency
- Copy of police accident report
- Support for any other charges for damage (i.e. credit card statement)
You may also review this Visa Guide to Benefits_2013 for full details of the Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver Program.