Enhanced Security for Graduation Weekend
New guidelines in effect
The BU Police Department has instituted an enhanced security plan for Commencement weekend, following the Boston Marathon bombing last month that killed 3 and injured nearly 300. Both students and visitors will be subject to screening when entering Nickerson Field and any Convocation venues. BUPD Chief Thomas G. Robbins, BU executive director of public safety, says that everyone attending Commencement should observe the following guidelines:
- All students, faculty, staff, volunteers, guests, and vendors will be subject to screening when entering any Commencement weekend venue, possibly with a metal-detecting wand.
- Guests who are not carrying a bag may use an express entrance lane.
- Only small and average-size handbags, purses, and camera bags will be allowed (no large totes, oversized purses, backpacks, large diaper bags, or messenger bags). All bags will be physically inspected prior to entry.
- No other bags, gift bags, wrapped gifts, packages, briefcases, backpacks, or luggage will be allowed in a Commencement or Convocation venue, including Nickerson Field.
- If guests have packages or bags that are not permitted, they may leave them at a “self-check” area adjacent to the venues. While this area will be monitored by security, the University will not provide a claim check process and will not be responsible for packages left in the self-check area.
- Graduates and faculty should carry their robes into event venues and then dress in designated lineup areas.
- Anyone seeing anything suspicious is asked to contact the BUPD immediately at 617-353-2121.
Unsure about which accessories you’re allowed to carry into Commencement venues? Find out on this dos and don’ts list.
More information about Commencement can be found on the Commencement website.2 Comments