Nicastro Court Hearing Rescheduled to May
Former BU hockey player faces rape charges
A Brighton District Court judge yesterday postponed a probable cause hearing for Max Nicastro, the suspended BU hockey defenseman facing rape charges.
First Justice David Donnelly set a new hearing date of May 7 after defense lawyer Hugh Curran and Suffolk County assistant district attorney Cameron Merrill agreed to the continuance in proceedings that lasted all of a minute or so.
The delay “can reflect any number of things, from investigative needs on the defense or prosecution side to the inability to meet the court’s schedule” for arguing probable cause, says Jake Wark, press secretary for the Suffolk DA’s office.
Nicastro (CGS’11, MET’13) was arrested February 19 after a female student alleged he raped her on campus. He has pleaded not guilty. Released on bail after his initial court hearing last month, he is no longer enrolled at BU. At that February hearing, defense lawyer Curran said Nicastro planned to return to campus to study this summer.
Nicastro stood in the front of the spectator’s section during yesterday’s proceeding and left with Curran afterward.
The aborted hearing followed a hearing Friday in the same court where a judge dropped the most serious felony charge against Nicastro’s former teammate Corey Trivino for lack of evidence. Trivino (MET’12) has pleaded not guilty to six other felony charges of indecent assault and battery and breaking and entering. He was arrested December 11 after a female student alleged he forcibly kissed and groped her in her BU dorm room. He too is not enrolled this semester and is due back in court April 27.
The charges against both men prompted President Robert A. Brown to name a task force to investigate the culture of the hockey team. The task force is to report its findings and any recommendations by this summer.6 Comments