BU Today

Campus Life + Sports

Major Charge Dropped in Trivino Case

Former hockey star still faces six felony counts

6

A Brighton District Court judge yesterday granted a prosecution request to drop the most serious felony charge against former BU hockey star Corey Trivino for lack of evidence.

As a result of Suffolk County assistant district attorney Cameron Merrill’s request, Trivino will not have to go before a grand jury in Boston Superior Court. The former hockey player could have faced up to 20 years in state prison for that charge alone, assault with intent to commit rape.

“The evidence in the case was not enough to support a conviction beyond a reasonable doubt,” says Erika Gully-Santiago, a spokesperson for the Suffolk County district attorney.

Defense attorney Conrad Bletzer had no objections.

Trivino (MET’12) still faces six felony charges: three counts of indecent assault and battery and three counts of breaking and entering in the nighttime. Judge Patricia Bernstein set an April 27 court date to address those charges.

Under Massachusetts state law, indecent assault and battery and breaking and entering at night each carry a punishment of up to two and a half years in jail.

Trivino, wearing a black suit and accompanied by his parents, stood silently during the brief court exchange and then quickly left the building with his family.

The Toronto native was arrested the night of December 11 for allegedly entering the room of a female student in a BU residence hall several times and kissing and groping her against her will. He pleaded not guilty to all charges and was later released on $25,000 bail.

Before his December arrest, Trivino was the lead scorer in Hockey East and had been drafted by the New York Islanders. As of Thursday, the NHL team had “nothing new to report.” It released a statement immediately following the hockey player’s arrest: “We know of the allegations against Corey, but at this time we do not know every piece of information. Until then, we’ll have no further comment.”

Trivino is not enrolled this semester, according to BU spokesperson Colin Riley.

On Monday, March 26, Trivino’s former teammate Max Nicastro (CGS’11, MET’13) will appear in Brighton District Court for a probable cause hearing on two counts of rape related to an incident with a female student in late February.

President Robert A. Brown responded to the two cases by appointing a special 16-member Task Force on Men’s Ice Hockey in early March to assess the culture and climate of the hockey team and to recommend ways to ensure they are consistent with the values and mission of the University. He asked that the task force report be submitted by this summer so that necessary changes can be made early in the fall semester.

6 Comments
Leslie Friday, BU Today, Boston University
Leslie Friday

Leslie Friday can be reached at lfriday@bu.edu; follow her on Twitter at @lesliefriday.

6 Comments on Major Charge Dropped in Trivino Case

  • BU's Night Life on 03.23.2012 at 5:34 am

    hmmm. Due process trumps the lynch mob again. Thank God.

    • Cadbury on 03.23.2012 at 9:31 am

      Er, due process has seen fit to pursue a total of six felony charges, including indecent assault and battery. That’s no small thing. (And “lynch mob”? Are you serious?)

  • LAW student on 03.23.2012 at 10:03 am

    due process? lynch mob? if you were even one bit fluent in legal process, you would realize trivino’s charges were not at all the result of a “lynch mob”. the suffolk county DA took the facts, and brought those charges to court. the charge for the felony of assault with intent to rape was dropped because of due process, yes. but that does not mean it trumped any sort of “lynch” mob. save your uneducated theories and take a law class.

    • Ben on 03.23.2012 at 10:50 am

      Guys, “BU Night’s Life” said that “Due process TRUMPS the lynch mob”. That means you’re all in agreement.

  • Erik on 03.26.2012 at 1:56 pm

    Hopefully the evidence works in his favor. Even if he is cleared on all charges or their dropped to a misdemeanor the kid still needs help, he needs to make a good effort in getting clean and trying not to abuse alcohol.

  • monica richardson on 08.28.2012 at 8:14 pm

    HI
    I am horrified that this guy is being sent to an AA meeting as part of his plea deal. Shame on them. He needs anger management classes, he needs therapy, he needs jail time.

    A Judge is sending him to a religious cult for help? WTF??? Are they breaking the law in Boston like they do every day in California? The 9th Circuit Court of Appeals have deemed AA a religion, therefore it is against the law to send someone to AA a religion. He got no jail time. Is this judge in AA? IS the DA in AA? ASk my freinds…ask…and if they are it is a conflict of interest to use this tactic. AA and its BS are up folks. There is a whole movmeoont of people that are fed up with this illegal mandating that is VERY VERY dangerous. A ticking time bomb. Sending a young troubled man who cant handle his boozed into a place where he will be told he is powerless is a nightmre where he will learn NOTHING! I just got another email from a current AA member whose child was molested by an AA member. I was also told about another women who was murdered in the NW by a guy who was court ordered to AA.

Post Your Comment

(never shown)