BU Today


Women’s Soccer Upsets UConn, 1-0

Men’s team battles to scoreless draw


Janie Reilly (CAS'11) posted her second shutout of the season, against UConn.

The Boston University women’s soccer team claimed a 1-0 triumph over number 19 Connecticut on September 7 atConnecticut. In her first start of the season, Jessica Luscinski (SAR’12) made the most of her opportunity, netting the game-winning goal — her first collegiate tally — in the first half.

Janie Reilly (CAS’11) posted her second shutout of the season in net, making three saves. BU improved to 2-3 overall, while UConn fell to 2-3.

It was the Terriers’ first win over a ranked opponent since the2006 season, when they defeated number 22 Maine and upset number 3 SantaClara. BU’s defense shined in Sunday’s victory, as the back line, anchored byCasey Brown (COM’10) and Lina Cords (CAS’12), did not bend under the Huskies’ offensive pressure.

After eight minutes of action mostly inthe midfield, Luscinski had the first scoring opportunity of the gamewith a header inside the box off a cross from Farrell McClernon (SMG’10),but her attempt was saved by UConn goalkeeper Stephanie Labbe.Luscinski’s persistence paid off, however, when she broke through twominutes later off a feed from Emily Pallotta(SMG’10) for her first career goal, at 10:20. Pallotta had sent a cross from thefar left side into the box, where a diving Luscinski knocked it into theright corner.

The play continued to move from end-to-end at a fast pace, asboth teams began to pressure their opponents’ defense. With 20 minutesremaining, UConn had its best opportunity of the half when KateMacauley got on the end of a cross, forcing Reilly to come aggressivelyoff her line and knock away the attempt at point-blank range. Theclutch save allowed BU to take a 1-0 lead into the locker rooms at thebreak.

To open the second half, the Huskies came out on the offensive asMiyuki Hino’s shot in the second minute sailed just wide of the farright post. UConn continued to pepper the Terriers’ defense,but the back line did not bend and prevented any momentum change. The Terriers and Huskies continued to battle back and forth, butstrong play from BU’s defense sealed the victory.

The Terriers return to Nickerson Field on Friday, September 12, for a 7 p.m. game against Wisconsin.

The men’s soccer team also took on UConn on September 7, battling to ascoreless draw in nonconference action at Connecticut. Through two overtimes, the defense of both teams held strong as Hrafn Davidsson (ENG’09) made four saves for the Terriers and sophomore Josh Ford stopped five shots across the field for the Huskies.

BU improved to 0-2-1, earning its first result of the year in the third of aseason-opening string of four straight nationally ranked opponents.Connecticut, ranked third in the latest National Soccer CoachesAssociation of America poll, went to 2-0-2.

BU made several forays into the Huskies’ zone in the scorelessfirst half, but UConn generated the better chances in the openingframe, outshooting the Terriers by a 9-2 margin. Sophomore ShawnNicklaw put a pair of shots on net, but both were saved by Davidsson.In the 13th minute, Nicklaw raced up the left side, but his attempt was deflected at the near post. Eight minutes later, Nicklaw againbroke through the defense before Davidsson pounced on the ball for thesave.

The second half swung more in the Terriers’ favor, with BUgetting off eight shots to UConn’s four. Huskies junior midfielder ToniStahl was sent off with a red card after a sliding challenge on Michael Bustamante(CGS’10) in the 76th minute, putting UConn a man down for the rest of thecontest. The Huskies generated the next scoring chance, when junior Mike Pezza ripped a bending shot that was tipped byfreshman Tony Cascio before Davidsson went to the ground to make thesave. The Terriers had a good chance off a set piece when Bustamantepassed to Samuel Appiah (MET’10), who set up a header for Jin Oh (CAS’09) that sailed just wide.

BU kept the pressure on in the first overtime period, outshooting UConn, 5-1. Appiah and Paul King (SAR’12) each had shots that went wide, while freshman Ben Berube (CGS’10) sent in a 25-yarder that was saved by Ford midway through the frame.

In the 102nd minute, redshirt Ryan Shea(CGS’10) sent a cross to King for a header, but his effort was justoff target. The Terrier defense held off a strong push by the Huskiesmidway through the second overtime, and Berube drilled a shot wide withfour minutes left on the clock. BU ended the game with a 17-14advantage in shots.

The Terriers are back in action on Friday, Setember 12, when they travel toNew York to face 22nd-ranked St. John’s at 8 p.m. They return homeon Sunday, September 14, to host Rhode Island at NickersonField at 4:30 p.m.

+ Comments

Post Your Comment

(never shown)