Terrier Tennis Tripped Up by Stanford in NCAA First Round
BU ends season with 4-0 loss
STANFORD, Calif. – In the first round of the NCAA tournament, the Boston University women’s tennis team fell to Stanford, 4-0, on Friday afternoon at the Taube Family Tennis Center.
The Cardinal claimed the doubles point with wins at the first and second spots and then earned victories at the first, third and fifth spots.
Terriers Cori Lefkowith (Clayton, Mo.) and Danielle Abraham (Waukesha, Wis.) put up a fight at second doubles. Down 0-5, BU picked up two games on the Terriers’ serve before falling 8-2 to the 49th-ranked doubles team in the nation of Whitney Deason and Jessica Nguyen. At third doubles, sophomore Elizabeth Corrao (Holden, Mass.) and Yana Sadovskaya (Riga, Latvia) were more evenly matched with Celia Durkin and Carolyn McVeigh. BU was down just 3-2 before the Cardinal reeled off four straight games. The match was called due to the doubles point being decided.
In singles play, Steiner was up early 2-0 in the first set before Stanford evened it at 2-2 and held serve to go back on top. Abraham fought back from a 0-5 deficit at fifth singles to climb to 4-5 but ultimately lost the set, 4-6. Corrao put together a little flurry at the end of her first set and started the second up 2-0; however, Stanford’s McVeigh rallied to close out the match, 6-2, 6-2.
1. No. 9 Barte/Burdette (S) def. Whu/Steiner (BU), 8-0
2. No. 49 Deason/McVeigh (S) def. Lefkowith/Abraham (BU) 8-2
3. Durkin/McVeigh (S) v. Corrao/Sadovskaya (BU) 7-2 (DNF)
1. No. 13 Nguyen (S) def. Whu (BU) 6-0, 6-0
2. No. 65 Durkin (S) v. Steiner (BU) 6-4, 4-1 (DNF)
3. No. 66 Burdette (S) def. Sadovskaya (BU) 6-0, 6-0
4. No. 68 Deason (S) v. Lefkowith (BU) 6-0, 4-2 (DNF)
5. No. 95 McVeigh (S) def. Corrao (BU) 6-1, 6-2
6. Jennifer Yen (S) v. Abraham (BU) 6-4, 3-3 (DNF)