Protect your Data and Devices
- Antivirus and spyware detection software is provided.
- Remember that you should never leave your laptop or device unattended in a public area or in an unlocked residence.
- Register your computer with the BUPD at www.bu.edu/police/safety/laptop.
- Back up your important files! Use Google Drive, subscribe to CrashPlan, save to an external/thumb drive, or even just email important documents to yourself. Make sure you do whatever is needed to ensure that you always have multiple copies of your work.
You are required to install effective anti-virus software in order to connect to the Boston University campus network. Windows computers should also have anti-spyware software. If you don’t keep your Windows computer patched and running current anti-virus and anti-spyware software, it will become infected.
- Protect your PC by downloading and installing the latest Microsoft service packs and security patches (PCs).
- If you need anti-virus software, download free McAfee anti-virus software (PCs and Macs).
- Download free anti-spyware products (PCs).
- Learn how to protect your identity.
You should never leave your laptop unattended in a public area or in an unlocked residence. To assist with retrieval of a stolen laptop, The Boston University Police Department (BUPD) runs a Laptop Registration Program called STOP (Security Tracking of Office Property). For more information, please refer to www.bu.edu/police/safety/laptop.
File Storage and Back-up
Students interested in backing up their computer can take advantage of a 10% BU discount for personal licenses to the CrashPlan service. In addition, students who create (or upload and convert) files to their BU Google Drive space (at www.bu.edu/google) have a limitless storage capacity. Beyond that, people do a variety of things, ranging from external drive use to use of other cloud services. In addition, those who have logged into a thin client machine in the BU Common @ Mugar have 250 MB of storage that they can access remotely through MyFiles.