For Admins – Exchange Mailbox Creation
Standard Account Creation Procedures
NOTE: After any of the steps outlined below, the local IT admin can opt to affiliate AD accounts with their OU, as described on the AD FAQ.
For New Employees
HR Onboarding creates a new Exchange mailbox, attached to AD, for all new employees. If you need to migrate an Exchange 2010 mailbox between AD and AD2, please click on Help to submit a Service Request.
For a Guest
By default, Guest accounts are set up on BU Google Apps. If you choose Microsoft Exchange, you will be contacted by the IT Help Center to verify the need for an Exchange mailbox.
To create a Guest mailbox,
- Go to www.bu.edu/help/tech/accounts/ and choose Guests
- Provide the Guest Information and the Department or Program the Guest is affiliated with.
- Choose the Duration of the Guest mailbox, agree to the terms and conditions, and Submit.
For a Department
NOTE: Please do not create Department accounts for individuals; those should be set up as a Guest mailbox.
To create a Department mailbox,
- Go to www.bu.edu/help/tech/accounts/ and choose Department
- Provide the Department Name and Desired Email Address.
- Explain why you need the account, agree to the terms and conditions, and Submit.
Mailbox Procedures Handled by the IT Help Center
The following procedures are handled by IS&T through the IT Help Center. Please click on Help to submit a Service Request.
- Migrating an Exchange mailbox between AD and AD2
- Setting up an Exchange mailbox for an existing account that does notÂ need an OU affiliation
- Setting up a scheduled resource (e.g. rooms, conference phones, etc.)
NOTE: oit-uwa is no longer available
The tools that were formally used with Exchange 2007 at oit-uwa do not work with Exchange 2010 and there are no plans to update them. Please click on Help to submit a Service Request for assistance with any tasks that you would once have performed using oit-uwa.