HCM (Human Capital Management) enables our university to utilize employees effectively through the management of functions such as Recruiting, Hiring, Maintaining Organization and Employee related data, Time Management & Payroll.
Please refer to the Quick Reference Guides(QRG) and Work instructions for help with Organization Management(OM), Personnel Administration(PA) and Time Management functions.
If you have questions/suggestions about the content on this website, please email HR Systems at email@example.com.
BUworks Portal Basics introduces you to the basics of the BUworkscentral portal.
BUworks Portal Basics
The Identity Access Management project is about the provisioning/de-provisioning of accounts for Boston University Employees to make the onboarding process effective.
Identity Access Management (IAM)
Employee Self Service is the gateway to the forms related to Benefits & Pay available to Boston University faculty and staff.
Employee Self Service (ESS) Resources
Manager/Payroll Coordinators resources include an introductory video to Organization Management(OM) and Personnel Actions(PA) and Quick Reference Guides to creating and maintaining Org. Units, Jobs and Positions as well as personnel actions related to Position Updates, Position change, Transfer, Salary changes, Additional and Recurring payments, retirement and termination.
Manager Self Service (MSS)/Payroll Coordinators Resources
Introductory Video on OM and PA
Organization Management Actions
- Create Position (QRG)
- Mandatory Information for CREATING POSITION
- Maintain Position (QRG)
- Delimit Position (QRG)
- Request Tracker Work Instructions
- Viewing and Printing Position Descriptions in SAP
- Finding Vacant Positions in Org. Unit
- HCM Scenarios: Form Letter Matrix explaining which OM & PA Forms to Use
- BUMG Form Letter Matrix
- Action Reasons for Employee Position Update
- Completing Salary Change:QRG
- Completing a Salary Cost Distribution:QRG
- Employee position_change: QRG
- Employee transfer (Sending Manager instructions):QRG
- Employee Transfer (Receiving Manager) QRG
- Processing Leave_of_absence/Return from Absence:QRG
- Processing retirement_QRG
- Processing termination_QRG
- Processing additional_payment_QRG
- Processing recurring_payments_QRG
- Secondary Work Payments QRG
- Temp Additional Duties (Non-Exempt) QRG
- QRG – Faculty Education Maintenance
- Update Faculty Contract
Hiring candidates to Boston University as faculty members requires preparation on the part of departments. Exempt Staff (Monthly salaried) members are hired by Central Human Resources.
Time Management resources instruct on how weekly paid employees can enter and release timesheets, exempt employees can track absences such as vacations, sick time, jury duty etc and how managers can approve requests by their staff.
Time Related Instructions
- Enter Time Off Request (Exempt Employees)
- Exempt Time Off Related FAQs
- Enter Requests for Absence (Video Guide)
- Requesting “Comp Time” and Using “Earned” Comp Time
- Enter Working Time
- Enter Working Time (Video Guide)
- Enter Time Off Request
- Requesting “Comp (Compensatory) Time”
- Exempt Employee Time Related FAQs
- Manager Tasks for Approving/Rejecting Absence Requests (Video Guide)
- Setting_up_substitute QRG
- Checking Vacation/Sick Balance for an Employee
- Approve Working Time (Timesheets) (QRG)
- Approve Working Time (Video Guide)
- Enter/Release time_on_behalf_of_employee (QRG)
- Approving Weekly/Hourly Paid Timesheets(CATS_APPR_LITE)
- Entering Time on Behalf of an Employee(CAT2)
- Release Hours on Behalf of an Employee(CAT2)
- Missing Timesheets Report(CATC)
- Recording Time Worked During Intersession(CAT2)
- Reviewing Time Off Balances(PT50)
- Display Working Time(CATS_DA)
- Creating Variants
- Processing an Employee Shift Substitution(PA61)
- Changing Work Schedules through WEBGUI
For Payroll Coordinators:
The Enterprise Compensation Management tool on BUworks Central Portal is available for recommending and approving annual merit increases for Faculty, L2324, and Staff employees.
- Annual Merit Process
- Eligibility Report Quick Reference Guide (Faculty)
- Eligibility Report Quick Reference Guide (L2324)
- Compensation Statement Quick Reference Guide
- Salary History Report Quick Reference Guide
- Uploading Dean’s Comments Quick Reference Guide (Faculty)
- Recommendation for Merit Increase – Quick Reference Guide (L2324)
- Manager Approval for Merit Increase – Quick Reference Guide (L2324)
- Recommendation for Merit/Adjustment/Retention/Promotion (Faculty)
- Manager Approval for Merit/Adjustment/Retention/Promotion (Faculty)
Nakisa and PPOSE are two tools that help employees in displaying staffing information for their departments.
Worklists display tasks that need to be approved/rejected by you.
WebGUI is a graphical user interface that connects you to SAP’s ECC system.
Skype for Business (formerly known as Lync) helps you create as well as join virtual (online) meetings.