Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Firefox all come with a pop-up blocker, which must be configured to allow Blackboard Learn to use pop-up windows. If you have an external pop-up blocker, such as the Google Toolbar, please see the section on configuring external pop-up blockers for Blackboard Learn.
Please Note: Many anti-virus programs also include pop-up blockers which can interfere with applications such as Blackboard Learn. If you have configured your browser to allow pop-ups or have them turned off and still have issues with pop-up windows consult your anti-virus documentation for allowing pop-up windows.
BU does offer free McAfee anti-virus for members of the Boston University community, which doesn’t interfere with pop-ups.
Internet Explorer 8 to 11
- Launch Internet Explorer from your desktop or the start menu.
- Click Tools from the main menu.
(IE8 through IE9 users can also find the “Tools” menu icon to the right of the “Home” icon)
- Scroll down to and mouse-over the Pop-up blocker option.
- At the Pop-up blocker option, a menu will appear to the right of your mouse. In that menu, click Pop-up Blocker Settings. If the Pop-up Blocker Settings option is disabled, click on Turn on Pop-up Blocker first.
- Depending on the website address that you’re using (such as https://learn.bu.edu, https://cader.bu.edu or https://onlinecampus.bu.edu for online courses), put that address into the Address of website to allow text box.
- Click the Add button.
- Click the Close button.
- Launch Firefox from your desktop or start menu.
- Click on the menu icon, located in the upper right-hand corner of the web browser.
- In the window that appears, click the Options icon.
- Click the Content icon.
- Ensure that the checkbox labeled Block pop-up windows is checked and click the Exceptions… button located to the right.
- Depending on the website address that you’re using (such as https://learn.bu.edu, https://cader.bu.edu or https://onlinecampus.bu.edu for online courses), put that address into the Address of website text box.
- Click the Allow button.
- Click Close to close the Allowed Sites – Pop-ups window.
- Click the OK button in the Options window to close this window.
Google Chrome Stable Release Channel
- Open Google Chrome and click the menu icon located to the immediate right of the web address bar.
- Click the Show advanced settings… link at the bottom of the page.
- In the Privacy section, click the Content settings… button.
- Scroll down to the Pop-ups section, click the Do not allow any site to show pop-ups (recommended) radio button and then click the Manage exceptions… button.
- Depending on the website address that you’re using (such as https://learn.bu.edu, https://cader.bu.edu or https://onlinecampus.bu.edu for online courses), put that address into the Add a new hostname pattern text box and ensure that the Allow option is selected in the Behavior column.
- Click the Done button on this screen and then the following screen.
- Click the “X” to the right of the Settings tab to close out the browser’s Settings tab.