Firefox, Chrome, and Safari come with pop-up blockers, which may need to be configured to allow web applications to use pop-up windows.
Firefox Final Release Channel
- Launch Firefox from your dock.
- Click Firefox in the main menu at the top of your screen.
- Click the Preferences item on the drop-down menu.
- Click the Content icon.
- Ensure that the check box labeled Block pop-up windows is checked.
- Click the Exceptions button located to the right.
- Depending on the website address that you’re using (such as https://learn.bu.edu, https://cader.bu.edu or https://onlinecampus.bu.edu for online courses), put that address into the Address of website text box.
- Click the Allow button.
- Close this Allowed Sites – Popups window.
- Close the Firefox Preferences… window.
Allowing Learn in Safari
- Launch Safari from your dock.
- Click Safari in the main menu at the top of your screen.
- Click the Preferences… item in the drop-down list.
- Click the Security icon.
- Ensure that Block pop-up windows is NOT checked.
When not using Blackboard Learn, Safari users will want to enable the pop-up blocker for safer browsing. Alternately, you may want to use Firefox with pop-ups allowed for your Blackboard Learn class and Safari with Block pop-up windows enabled for all other web browsing.
Google Chrome Stable Release Channel
- Launch Google Chrome from your dock and click Chrome in the taskbar, next to the Apple icon, and then click Preferences…
- Click the Show advanced settings… link at the bottom of the page.
- In the Privacy section, click the Content settings… button.
- Scroll down to the Pop-ups section, click the Do not allow any site to show pop-ups (recommended) radio button and then click the Manage exceptions… button.
- Depending on the website address that you’re using (such as https://learn.bu.edu, https://cader.bu.edu or https://onlinecampus.bu.edu for online courses), put that address into the Add a new hostname pattern text box and ensure that the Allow option is selected in the Behavior column.
- Click the Done button on this screen and then the following screen.
- Click the x to the right of the Settings tab to close out the browser’s Settings tab.