Use the information below to better understand the options available to you when deploying a test in Blackboard Learn.
The first section of the test options allows you to enter very basic information about your test, including the name and description that is displayed to students.
- You are required to provide a Name for your test
- You have the option to enter a description which will be displayed to students to provide additional details about the test.
- Open Test in New Window specifies whether you want the test to open in a new tab when the students begin taking it. ‘No’ is the default setting
The Test Availability section contains options that specify how students see and interact with your test.
- Make the Link Available governs whether or not students will be able to see the test within the course. Select No to hide the test to students until you are ready to release it.
- Using Multiple Attempts you can allow students to attempt the test as many times as you wish. Each attempt will be recorded in the Grade Center.
- When an exam is deployed in Blackboard with the Force Completion option checked, it requires students to complete the test on their first time opening it. If a student closes their browser or tab, experiences a browser or computer crash, or their connection to the Blackboard server times out, they will not be able to re-enter the test. It is then up to the instructor to clear the student’s exam attempt so the student can start a new attempt.
- When Auto-Submit is enabled the test will save and be submitted automatically when the time limit has been reached. Disabling this option gives the student a choice to continue working on the test once the time limit has passed. Any extra time they spent will be recorded in the grade center.
- Display After and Display Until specify when the test will be visible to students. Use this option to automatically schedule a test to go live rather than manually releasing it using the Make the Link Available option.
- Use the Password option to set a password and restrict the test to those users who you choose to provide it to.
- You can set a Due Date for your test in this section. Due dates do not affect the test availability, but any tests submitted after the due date will be flagged as late in the Grade Center.
- Include this Test in Grade Center Score Calculations specifies whether the score the students receive will be recorded in the Grade Center calculations. Uncheck this box for practice tests or for anything that you do not want to affect grade averages in Blackboard.
- Hide Results for this Test Completely from Instructor and the Grade Center can be used for completely anonymous tests. Students will be able to view the results. Avoid choosing this option unless you want do not want to be able to view student answers.
Test Feedback allows you to restrict the immediate feedback provided to students upon completion of the test. The default option is Score.
- The default option, All at Once will display all questions to students in one page.
- One at a Time presents the questions in order one at a time. This option can be useful for longer tests because the student is interacting with the system after each question and sending data to the server to be saved as they proceed through the test. You can check the box for Prohibit Backtracking to prevent students from returning to a previous question and changing their answer.
- Randomize Questions will present the questions in a different order than you created them, regardless of which presentation mode you choose.