First, install the Cisco VPN software, if you have not already. Now follow the instructions below to make your VPN connection.
Note: if your windows look more complicated than the images below, go to the Options menu in the VPN Client and select Simple Mode.
- If you are making a wireless connection, make sure you connect to the wireless network first, as explained on the wireless page.
- Go to Start->Programs and click the Cisco Systems VPN Client folder, then click on the VPN Client.
- When the client opens, select the appropriate type of connection and click Connect.
BU vpn-oncampus is for BU wireless connections. BU vpn-offcampus for connections coming in from off campus.
- Enter your BU login name and Kerberos password when prompted. Click OK.
- You will see a progress bar at the bottom of the window. Note that while the connection is being made, the title bar still says “status: Disconnected.”
- You will know that you are connected when you see a closed yellow padlock icon in the taskbar at the bottom right of your screen.
Success! You now have a VPN connection.
Checking your connection status
- You may right-click on the yellow padlock icon in your taskbar, then choose VPN Client to see more details about your connection.
- Note that when you are connected, you see a status: Connected message in the title bar of the VPN Client window and a Connected Time: at the bottom.
Disconnecting from the VPN
- When you have finished using your VPN connection, right-click on the taskbar padlock icon and choose Disconnect.
- Or if you prefer, you may click the Disconnect button in the VPN Client window.