- Using Mac OS X 10.5 or earlier? You should proceed with the instructions on this page instead.
- AnyConnect is the preferred method connecting to the VPN, and uses SSL (port 443) encryption. The built-in client detailed below can be used in the event of difficulties. However, it does occasionally require network or firewall changes.
- Open System Preferences.
- Choose Network.
- Click the + sign in the left column to add a new network adapter.
- Select VPN as Interface.
- Select Cisco IPSec as VPN Type.
- Enter the appropriate Service Name.
- Click Create.
- Enter the Server Address of the VPN server (vpn.bu.edu).
- Fill in your BU login name in the Account Name field.
- Leave the password blank so that the connection prompts for your Kerberos password once you connect.
- To show the VPN status in the menu bar and enable you to start the connection at any time check the box in the left lower corner.
- Click Authentication Settings.
- The Shared Secret and the Group Name are both BostonU.
- Click OK.
The VPN icon shows in the menu bar. A drop-down menu lists all VPN connections that you have set up and allows you to start or stop the connection. After initiating the connection you will be prompted for your Kerberos password. The time of the duration of the connection is shown next to the icon.