The information on this page is provided for your convenience. However, use of the VPN for connecting to BU’s wireless network is no longer necessary. 802.1x technology is available for wireless, and recommended over use of the VPN. If you would like to connect to the BUMC VPN, follow the directions provided by BUMC OIT.
This guide will walk you through the one-time configuration for the VPN, as well as the day-to-day use in connecting.
If you’re viewing this page from your mobile device, open this mobile configuration file to streamline the process.
- Turn on your iOS device to open the Settings application and select the General options.
- In the General Settings options, choose VPN settings.
- Click the Add VPN Configuration button.
- Choose the IPSec VPN type.
- Fill in the configuration settings as follows:Description: BU On Campus
Account: Your BU Login
Password: Ask Every Time
Use Certificate: Off
Group Name: BostonU
The VPN is now configured. You will only have to do this setup once; from now on you should simply follow the steps below to connect via the VPN.
Connecting to the VPN
- Open the Settings application and select Wi-Fi.
- Connect to the BU (requires VPN) wireless network.
- Go back to the Settings application and turn the VPN switch to the On position.
- After the VPN gets connected, you will be prompted to enter your BU login name and Kerberos password.
- You can now use the Internet as you would over any other WiFi network, or through EDGE or 3G. The iPhone will indicate it is on VPN with an icon in the title bar.