The UISA FTP icon will start an FTP session for file transfers to/from the UIS mainframe.
The Non-UISA FTP icon will allow user customization to connect and transfer files to/from any other FTP site.
To transfer files to/from UIS:
- Click on the “UISA FTP” icon.
- Log in.
- Transfer files.
To transfer files to/from any other FTP site:
- Click on the “Non-UISA FTP” icon.
- Enter the FTP site information.
- Log in.
- Transfer files.
HOD FTP to UISA
To log in to UISA FTP:
- Enter your UIS User ID.
- Enter your UIS password, followed immediately by a colon (“:”), then your SecureID number (format = password:SecureID, no spaces.)
- Click “OK.”
The main screen of the HOD Client is shown below. On the left side of the screen are the files in your current PC directory (C:\ in this example). The files listed on the right side of the screen are in your current UIS directory (INFMAH, in this case).
To transfer a file, simply click on the file to select it, then click on either the right arrow button (“>”) to transfer to UISA, or the left arrow button (“<”) to transfer to your PC.
Please Note: The FTP session will automatically time out and disconnect after 5 minutes of non-use. There is no warning or pop-up message. In this case, go to the “Communications” menu and select “Connect” and log in again.
- Mainframe: Click in the UISA “Directory” field, delete the existing directory name, and type the directory name that you want to go to. You can also go up or down the directory chain (“tree”) by either clicking on the “up folder” button (next to the directory field) or by double-clicking on a folder icon in the file list, respectively.
- PC: Click in the Local “Directory” field, delete the existing directory name, and type the directory name that you want to go to. You can also go up or down the directory chain (“tree”) by either clicking on the “up folder” button (next to the directory field) or by double-clicking on a folder icon in the file list, respectively.
By default, the transfer type is set to “auto.” This means that HOD will determine whether to transfer the file in ASCII or in Binary format. This can be changed manually.
- ASCII: Click on the “ABC” button (most data transfers should use this).
- Binary: Click on the “101” button (most program transfers should use this).
- Auto: Click on the “101/ABC” button.
Setting File Specifications on UISA
When transferring a file to the UISA, it may be necessary to provide the file’s specifications: logical record length, block size, and number of tracks (if it is sufficiently large). To do this, select “Quote Command” from the “Tools” menu (see below).
Enter in the appropriate quote command. (In this case, the record format is set to fixed, the logical record length is set to 800 and the block size is set to 8000 — not fully visible.)
Click “OK.” Confirmation of the command is displayed in the status window along the bottom edge of the FTP window (see below, “QUOTE command successful”).
Setting FTP Session Defaults
You can set the way that HOD FTP starts — specifically, what PC and what UISA directories are displayed when you first log in. If you do repeated file transfers, it will be convenient to set these defaults.
Use your browser to navigate to the HOD main page, www.bu.edu/uis_web3270
Right-click on the FTP session and select “Properties.”
The following screen is displayed.
To set the default PC and UIS mainframe directories, enter information into “Local Home Directory” and “Remote Home Directory.” Local means PC, remote means UIS mainframe. Click “OK” when done.
HOD FTP to Non UISA Sites
HOD can be used to transfer files to/from other, non-UIS sites. Click on the “Non-UIS FTP” icon. Fill in the User ID, Password, and Destination Address for the site, then click “OK.”
Enter the User ID, Password, Destination Address (host), and if necessary, Port for the non-UIS FTP site. Click “OK.”
See the UIS FTP section (above) for details on transferring files and changing settings.