IS&T offers site-licensed X Window system software to let you use your own PC or Mac to run X-based applications residing on a remote UNIX system. For example, with this software you can sit at home with your own computer and run a SAS package or a Mathematica program that is installed on the Shared Computing Cluster.
There are some X-based applications (for example, SAS statistical software) installed on UNIX systems that you might want to run on your own Mac or PC. X Window System software allows you to do this with a full graphical connection, without purchasing or installing that application on your own computer.
- We support X-Win32 for Microsoft Windows and X11 for Mac OS X .
- We offer a download link and instructions on using site-licensed X-Win32 software for Microsoft Windows.
- We provide instructions on using X11 for Mac OS X.
- Access to a computer running Microsoft Windows or MacOS
- A connection to the Internet
- Ability to install the X Window System software if it is not already installed
- An account on the remote system where the software application resides, such as a the Linux Virtual Lab or the SCC account (for Researchers).