This License Agreement covers the basic terms and conditions on using Mathematica. Some of these terms are superseded by the Mathematica Site License Terms and Conditions.
Carefully read the following terms and conditions before opening the media container. Opening the media container indicates your acceptance of the terms and conditions of this agreement. If you are not willing to accept the terms and conditions of this agreement, you should return the entire product, with the seal on. The media container unbroken, to the place from which it was obtained for a refund of the purchase price.
WRI Wolfram Research, Inc.
You/Licensee The purchaser of this license.
Product All the materials provided with this License Agreement.
Sotware The computer programs enclosed in the media container.
License Certiicate The description, written on the reverse side of this page, which indicates specific information about the license to use this Product.
Process Every time the Software is started, a Process is invoked by Your computer’s operating system. Some versions allow more than one Process to run concurrently. Your License Certificate states the maximum number of concurrent Processes that You may run.
Product Name On the line titled Product, Your License Certificate states the name of the Product and the type of computer(s) for which the Product is licensed for use.
ProductClass A categorization of different Mathematica products. Your License Certificate states the Product Class to which this Product belongs. Binary it(s): If the Product is being provided with Software intended for use with one or more other type(s) of computer(s) in addition to the type of computer(s) described in the Product section of Your License Certificate, a section titled Binary Kit(s) will be printed on Your License Certificate. The Binary Kit(s) section lists the additional type(s) of computer(s) for which Software is supplied.
UseClass A categorization of products based on the ways in which they may be used. Your License Certificate states the Use Class to which this Product belongs. If there are any restrictions on the use of this Product due to its Use Class, the restrictions will be written on the License Certificate.
LicenseClass A categorization of different Mathematica licenses that indicates how the Product may be run on a network of computers. The License Classes are Single-Machine and Network. Your License Certificate states the License Class to which this Product belongs.
Single-Machine License The Single-Machine License allows one or more users to run Mathematica on a single machine that contains the “host” CPU for the Mathematica kernel.
Single-User License A Single-Machine License for a single user.
Network License: The Network License is designed to accommodate a network environment. A server program allows a predetermined number of Processes to run concurrently on the network. A Process may be invoked only on a computer associated with the same or lesser Product Class as listed on Your License Certificate.
WRI is the sole owner of the Software contained in this package with the exception of portions of Software licensed by WRI from other firms, which are the owners of those portions.
WRI is the holder of the copyright to the Software, including without limitation such aspects of the Software as its code, structure, sequence, organization, “look and feel,” programming language and compilation of command names. Use of the Software unless pursuant to the terms of a license granted by WRI or as otherwise authorized by law is an infringement of the copyright.
Provided that You accept this License Agreement, WRI grants You a non-exclusive license to use the Product. The Software may be run on the type(s) of computer(s) described in the Product section of Your License Certificate. If there is a Binary Kit(s) section in Your License Certificate, You may also use the version(s) of the Software described as being intended for use with other types of computers with those other types of computers. If your License Class is a Single-Machine License, You are authorized to run concurrent Processes up to the maximum number specified on Your License Certificate; however, all Processes must run on a single computer. If Your License Class is a Network License, You are authorized to run concurrent Processes up to the maximum number specified on Your License Certificate, provided that all the Processes are run on computers in the same network. Your license terminates in the event that You receive a license to use an upgraded version of the Product in place of the Product. If a license expiration date is printed on Your License Certificate, Your license to use the Product terminates on that day. You are also authorized to:
- install the Software on a single online storage device (for example, a hard disk drive);
- maintain an archival copy of the Software on off-line storage media (such as diskettes);
- transfer the license subject to the following condtions:
- Your Use Class permits the transfer of this license;
- The transferee’s use of the license falls into the same Use Class, as specified on the License Certificate;
- You notify WRI in writing of Your decision to transfer this license and certify that You have destroyed or given to the transferee all copies of the Software and other elements of the Product that You have ever had;
- The transferee accepts all the terms and conditions of this license.
All uses of the Software and other elements of the Product not specifically allowed in the Permitted Uses section of this License Agreement are prohibited. The following is a partial list of prohibited uses of the Product. This license does not allow you to:
- run more Processes concurrently than the maximum specified on Your License Certificate;
- run the Software on a computer associated with a Product Class greater than the Product Class specified on the License Certificate;
- run the Software described in the Product and Binary Kit(s) (if present) section(s) of Your License Certificate on a computer of a type other than the type(s) of computer(s) described in the Product and Binary Kit(s) (if present) section(s);
- use the Product in a manner that violates the restrictions associated with the Use Class specified on the License Certificate;
- use portions of the Software on separate computers (The Software may contain multiple executables (e.g., kernel, front end, other programs); executables may not be installed or used on separate computers, even if the use is not concurrent. In the case of multiple process licenses, the use of one or more executables, but not more than one kernel, on a computer is the equivalent of the use of a single Process on that computer. In the case of Network Licenses, the use of a front end executable that is linked to an active kernel on a second computer is counted as a single Process.);
- decompile or reverse engineer the Software;
- modify the Software in any manner, except those portions written in the Mathematica language and included as standard Mathematica packages;
- sublicense, lend, lease or rent the Software or any portion of the Software;
- copy or allow copying of the Software and other elements of the Product, except as permitted for the maintenance of an archival copy of the Software.
Multiple Network Licenses
If this is a Network License, when at least one Process associated with this license is not being used, another Network License of the same or lesser Product Class and of the same or lesser version number (the version number is specified in the Product section of the License Certificate), and which is installed on the same computer as this license, may be used as though the number of Processes associated with the latter license was increased by the number of unused Processes associated with this license. If this is done, the Processes may not be used with this license until the other license ceases to use them. To use this feature You must follow the instructions provided with both this Product and the other Network License Product.
WRI warrants that the Product shall be free from defects in the physical media for a period of ninety days following date of purchase when used under normal conditions. THE FOREGOING WARRANTY IS IN LIEU OF ALL OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. WRI DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE SOFTWARE IS FREE FROM ALL BUGS AND OMISSIONS; THE PRODUCT IS SOLD AS IS. WRI MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, WITH RESPECT TO THE PRODUCT OR THE SOFTWARE CONTAINED IN THE PRODUCT, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATIONS, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, ALL OF WHICH IS EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMED. WRI DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE FUNCTIONS CONTAINED IN THE PROGRAM WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS OR THAT THE OPERATION OF THE PROGRAM WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR FREE.
In addition to the foregoing, You should recognize that all complex software systems and their documentation contain errors and omissions. WRI, its distributors and dealers shall not be responsible under any circumstances for providing information on or corrections to errors and omissions discovered at any time in the PRODUCT, whether or not they are aware of the errors or omissions. WRI does not recommend the use of the software for applications in which errors or omissions could threaten life, injury or significant loss.
Some states do not allow the exclusion of implied warranties, so this may not apply to You. This warranty gives You specific legal rights, and You may also have other rights which vary from state to state. This License Agreement shall be construed under the laws of the State of Illinois.
IN NO EVENT SHALL WRI, ITS DISTRIBUTORS AND DEALERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY LOST PROFITS, LOST BENEFITS, OR ANY CONSEQUENTIAL, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES, WHETHER IN CONTRACT OR IN TORT, EVEN IF WRI HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. DIRECT DAMAGES ARE LIMITED TO THE AMOUNT OF THE PURCHASE PRICE PAID FOR THE PRODUCT. Some states do not allow certain limitations of damages, so the above limitations may not apply to you.
United States Federal Government Restricted Rights
If this Software is acquired by or on behalf of the U.S. Federal government, this provision applies. Use, duplication or disclosure of this Software is subject to restrictions set forth in FAR 52.227-19 and DFAR 252.227-7013, as applicable. The Software is “commercial computer software” and is licensed with only “Restricted Rights.”
Wolfram Research, Inc.
100 Trade Center Drive, Champaign, IL 61820-7237, USA
Mathematica is a registered trademark of Wolfram Research, Inc.