Available to: Faculty, Researchers, Staff, Departments, IT Professionals
Cost: No charge
- See Getting Started, below.
Security of information and systems is becoming more and more important as our world is becoming more and more connected. The there are many laws, regulations, policies, standards and guidelines that apply to many types of the information we at Boston University use every day.
The Information Security Department is here to help you understand those requirements and to assist you in designing your systems and processes in such a way as to be in compliance with legal and regulatory requirements and with the policies of Boston University.
Compliance with legal and policy requirements helps to reduce risk of security breaches and data integrity issues. Attention to these important details protects you and the University against the possible repercussions of cyber security incidents and events and the issues associated with regulatory non-compliance.
Information Security provides consulting in these areas
- Ways to protect sensitive information of all types
- BU Security Policy and the Data Protection Standards
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)
- Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards (PCI DSS)
- Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
- International Trafficking in Arms Regulation (ITAR)
- Massachusetts privacy law requirements
- Other areas
What to Expect
Consultations are arranged at a mutually agreeable time and generally involve multiple meetings with the project team and Information Security staff to understand requirements or questions, conduct appropriate research, and provide guidance or recommendations. Depending on the complexity of the question, the process may take a very short time or may extend over a period of weeks.
- Contact us for more information