BU Google Drive as a great tool to backup your data, and is available for faculty, students, and staff.
- Faculty/Staff do not have access by default, but can request access.
- BU Google Drive is InfoSec approved to store confidential information.
- Offers unlimited storage space with your BU account.
- Great alternative to Crashplan for BU Faculty/Staff as you can access your files anywhere where there is an internet connection.
Uploading via Drive Application
Google now offers two different Google Drive applications, both of which are available to BU faculty, students, and staff.
- Google Backup and Sync – Allows syncing of folders outside of the Google Drive folder
- Google Drive File Stream – Appears as a network drive and it downloads files as they are used saving space on your computer
*Both allow for folders/files to be used in Offline mode.
See this Google page for a feature comparison
Google Drive File Stream
- Download for Windows – https://dl.google.com/drive-file-stream/googledrivefilestream.exe
- Download for Mac – https://dl.google.com/drive-file-stream/googledrivefilestream.dmg
Google Backup and Sync
- Navigate to https://drive.google.com/
- Click “Download” in the upper right corner.
- Click “Download” on the new page and select Mac and PC.
Installation for Mac
Installation for Windows
Uploading via Web
- Navigate to https://drive.google.com/a/bu.edu/ preferably with Google Chrome if you would like to upload entire folders without installing the Drive application to your computer.
- Login with your BU email. Verify your email at the BU portal if prompted.
- Select either file or folder depending on what you would like to upload.
- Alternatively, you can just drag and drop the files/folders into your web browser while you are on the Google Drive page.