- Can I use a hit counter for my people.bu.edu site?
- Can I create a search page or search box for my site on people.bu.edu?
- Does the server support redirects?
- Where can I learn HTML?
- Can I install my own CGIs on people.bu.edu?
- Do you have PHP installed on the people.bu.edu server?
- My student group would like to use PHP scripting on our website. Can we do this on blogs.bu.edu or people.bu.edu?
- How do I publish to people.bu.edu using iWeb?
A hit counter is not available on people.bu.edu. However, you can get information about traffic to your your site by reviewing the Directory and Request sections of the server statistics. Faculty and staff publishers can apply for statistics reports for their site(s) here, though there is a fee for this service.
Yes, it is easy to create a custom search page for your entire site or for selected directories within your site. Learn how at Creating a Customized Search. Just select the Personal site search on the Options page.
We cannot place redirects on the server itself, but if you leave BU and want to redirect the address of your web site, you can change your home page entry in the BU Directory.
Go to online learning pages or attend free HTML classes.
Due to security restrictions, individual or personal Common Gateway Interface (CGI) scripts are not permitted on people.bu.edu. You do have access to the PonyExpress script to create online forms.
There are no immediate plans to install PHP for use with sites on the people.bu.edu server. If you would like suggestions about alternative approaches to meeting your needs, please use the Ask a Web Question form to contact us.
My student group would like to use PHP scripting on our website. Can we do this on blogs.bu.edu or people.bu.edu?
PHP and other server-side scripts are disabled on blogs.bu.edu and people.bu.edu by security policy. Individuals and student organizations who would like to use PHP on their websites must use an external web host. Students and student groups with people.bu.edu accounts can setup a redirect to an external website, thus allowing their site(s) to be listed in the people.bu.edu index pages.
Please note that you will need iWeb 3.0 or higher (included in iLife ’09) to publish your website to people.bu.edu. (iWeb 1 and 2 only support publishing to Apple’s MobileMe hosting server.) If you have iWeb 3, follow these instructions to publish your site to people.bu.edu:
- In iWeb, select your website from the menu on the left hand side.
- In the “Site Publishing Settings” menu that appears, set “Publish to” to “FTP Server”.
- Under “FTP Server Settings”, set the following:
- “Server address” to “people.bu.edu”
- “User name” to “jgm”
- “Password” to your kerberos password
- “Directory/Path” to “/web/people/j/g/jgm”
- “Protocol” to “FTP” (note: do not select SFTP – this protocol is not supported with people.bu.edu)
- If you are using your people.bu.edu site without a virtual host, you can also set the Website URL as “http://people.bu.edu/jhm”
- To save these settings, select “File”, “Publish Site Changes”.
- To publish your website, select “File”, “Publish Entire Site”.