The Boston University voice messaging system (Charles River campus only) includes a web portal for you to customize your voice messaging options, including the delivery of voice messages via email. Features you can manage from the portal include:
- The email address where your voice messages will be sent;
- The name to display in the email header of voice messages you send to others;
- The passcode for authorized access to your voice messages and portal;
- Message playback options, including originator, date, time, and order (i.e., first-in/first-out or last-in/first out);
- Message notification options, including texting.
A few points to note when choosing to receive your voice mail messages as .wav files in your email inbox:
- Once you have subscribed to email delivery of your voice mail messages, a copy of the message will be delivered to your email inbox and a separate copy will be stored in your voice mailbox.
- Since the storage is separate, listening to your message from email will not change the status of the message in your voice mailbox. It will still appear as a new message and the Message Waiting lamp on your telephone will still be lit.
- Deleting the message from email will not delete it from your voice mailbox. You will need to go into the system via the telephone interface, hear the beginning of the message and press 3 to delete it.
- Your voice mailbox has a limited capacity for storage (usually 30 messages). Once you have reached the limit, you will not be able to receive new messages via voice mail or email; therefore, it is important to use the telephone interface to delete messages periodically from your voice mailbox.
- There is an option for you to receive messages only via email, i.e., no copy will be delivered to your voice mailbox. If you choose this option, you will not be able to access your messages via the telephone interface and you will not see a Message Waiting lamp when a new message is received. Also, if you are unable to access email, you will not be able to retrieve your voice mail messages. Please contact email@example.com if you wish to set up this option.
For detailed instructions on using the subscriber portal including the URL see the faculty and staff user guide.