1. Make sure you have reviewed steps 1 and 2 on the preceding Using Desktop and Mobile Device Clients page before continuing with the steps outlined below.
2. Launch Entourage and in the Setup Assistant, choose the appropriate option for your situation. We’ll proceed as if you are not importing anything (which is the default choice).
3. Enter your email address and click the arrow to continue. (BU Google Mail is not an Exchange server.)
4. If you see a warning that “Automatic Configuration Failed” just ignore it and click the arrow to proceed.
5. Complete the IMAP settings window with your own information, as outlined below using Rhett Mascot as an example.
6. Click the right arrow and verify your settings.
7. Give the account a name (something like BU Google Mail) and then click Finish. You can then decide if you do or don’t want Entourage to be your default email program.
8. Next, go to Tools-Accounts. Select your new mail account and double-click on it. Go to the Account Settings area and look for the button toward the bottom that says Click here for advanced sending options. Select that and configure it as shown below. Make sure you use your BU login name and Kerberos password for the SMTP authentication. Then close that window and click OK.
9. You’re all set now with the basics, but you can modify your working environment to suit your needs using the Entourage-Preferences menu.
10. If you want access to BU’s email directory, you need to configure the LDAP Server using the Entourage-Account Settings menu. To do this, click on the Directory Service category and click New. BU’s LDAP server is ldap.bu.edu. Enter that and then click on the right arrow button. The Account name for this could be something like BU LDAP SERVER. After you’ve entered the account name, clickÂ Configure Account Manually and click Options. The Search base is o=Boston University, c=US (where “o” is the small letter o, not the numeral zero). Enter that information and click OK.