As of November 22, 2011, Google has ended support for the Gmail App for Blackberry and, instead, recommends use of the web browser interface. In conjunction with that, we suggest the following options:
Option A: Use the Blackberry browser to access www.bu.edu/google.
Option B: Use the Blackberry Mail client with IMAP, by configuring it manually* as described below.
- Make sure you have reviewed steps 1 and 2 on the preceding Using Desktop and Mobile Device Clients page before continuing with the steps outlined below.
- Open the Email Settings app and in the username field, enter firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to user your own BU login name.
- Enter your password and select Next.
- The app will attempt to connect and will fail. It will then allow you to enter settings manually by clicking the I will provide the settings link.
- Under the Advanced Options tab, set the IMAP server for incoming mail as imap.gmail.com. Provide your BU login name and Kerberos password and, if prompted, indicate that you want to use port 993 (SSL).
- If prompted, supplyÂ smtp.bu.edu asÂ the SMTP setting for outgoing mail using your BU login name and Kerberos password over authenticated SSL (port 465).
- Select Add Other Settings and in the username field, enter your email address in the form ofÂ email@example.com.
- Save all settings and attempt to access your email.
If you use “@bu.edu” as the domain on the first step, the BlackBerry email client will use the older ACS servers. Because it successfully connects to those servers, it will prevent you from setting some of the items needed to activate BU Google Mail.
Option C: If you still have the Gmail App installed, the instructions outlined below will continue to work. However, please note that they are unsupported and the Gmail App is no longer available for download.
- Navigate to m.google.com/mail
- Select Install Now
- Check Set Application permissions
- Select Download
- Set all permissions to Allow
- Press the Back button
- Choose Save
- Select Run
- Enter your full BU email address as the username in the form firstname.lastname@example.org (NOT just login and not as email@example.com)
- Enter your BU Kerberos password
- Click Login